• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifted XJ wheel alignment

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi, All

The XJ is lifted using Rubicon Express 3.5" kit + dropped pitman arm (not because its dropped, but because it's shorter - i figured to reduce the load on steering box). New hole for the trackbar was drilled.
After installation I went to wheel works and they did the alignment for me. Now the jeep pulls to the left and I have to hold the steering wheel at 60-70 degrees to the right for the vehicle to go straight.

There are no other problems.

What is it?
1. Is it a feature one acquires with a lift, or may be this particular lift ?
2. Alignment done badly ?
3. Something worn out ? If this is the case, what I should be looking for ?

Thank you,
Andrey

Last edited:
Slonopotam said:
Hi, All

The XJ is lifted using Rubicon Express 3.5" kit + dropped pitman arm (not because its dropped, but because it's shorter - i figured to reduce the load on steering box). New hole for the trackbar was drilled.
After installation I went to wheel works and they did the alignment for me. Now the jeep pulls to the left and I have to hold the steering wheel at 60-70 degrees to the right for the vehicle to go straight.

What is it?
1. Is it a feature one acquires with a lift, or may be this particular lift ?
2. Alignment done badly ?
3. Something worn out ? If this is the case, what I should be looking for ?

Thank you,
Andrey
if you paid for an alignment, I would take it back immediately. Good luck

2. Alignment done badly

Don't have a manual handy, but IIRC caster should be around 7* and toe-in around 0 to 1/8". Their printout should list both the factory specs and your vehicle's settings.
Not centering the steering wheel is a sign of very sloppy work. I'd ask for a refund and find a better alignment shop.

I would ditch the drop pitman arm and put the stock one back on, the shorter length will reduce the amount of steering travel (won't be able to turn as tight) and the drop will most likely cause bump steer since you have altered the alignment of the drag link and trackbar. If they are not parallel you will get bump steer.

If you want to reduce stress on the steering box, just get a steering box brace.

Back