• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aux Fan Switch

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed the lower temp aux. fan switches from either Turbo City of Hayden? I am curious as to how easy these are to put in , and wether or not they work well. I like the adjustability of the Hayden part, but when I talked to the tech guy on the phone, he didn't seem to know if it would work. I haven't talked to the turbo city folks yet, but I would assume that their part would at least go in pretty easy. Thanks for any info.

OK, somewhat of an update here. Turbo city says that they no longer carry this kit. The person on the phone said that they put the kits together using ACDelco parts, so I am in the process of trying to find out what those are. I am still looking for info on the Hayden set-up though, so if anyone has used this, give me you opinions. Thanks a lot.

I used a brass "T" and nipple to mount both sensors off the T,stat housing.Ran a longer wire inside to a switch for manual control.
Biggest hassle was finding a mounting place for the relay and the inside switch.It works fine,will run when the motor is off to cool the water down.Doesn,t seem to come on until temp is about 215* on my guage.But when it does come on it will cool temp down to about 195*,with both fans running and motor idleing (sp).
Wayne

Which kit did you go with, or did you make up your own?

Electric Fan On Switch...CHEAP....

Here is what I did and it works great and is very cheap. I purchased a toggle switch and about 15 feet of auto wire, I forgot the gauge. NOTE: When you turn on the AC from your dash, the solenoid engages on the compressor, and it also turns on the auxiliary "electric fan"...So, at the wire to the AC solenoid, cut it close to the compressor, (very easy to find) attach and crimp the new wire to it and run it back along the firewall and into the passenger compartment. Find a place on the dash and mount a ON/OFF toggle switch, run the return wire back to the AC solenoid. DONE.........
If your engine is getting warm to hot, close the toggle (OFF) at your dash and turn on the AC, the AC solenoid will not engage, but the auxiliary electric fan will turn on at any temp you want and cool down the engine. If you want the AC, turn the toggle switch back on. Before I do this though, I first turn off the AC, toggle the switch to ON and turn on the AC on again.
Works great for me. Any feedback...............
Sean M.

Yeah, I'm leaning more toward a simple toggle switch. After looking at my FSM here is what I had in mind. I was thinking about a two position toggle spliced into the hot wire for the fan running from the PCM. I would like it set up so that in one position it can be powered from the PCM and in the other position it would recieve power directly from a keyed power source. Now I'm no electrical whiz, so this is all still based on my limited grasp of electronics (My college electronics class was at 8:00am, so I really didn't glean to much). What other ways out there are there for wireing up a switch to run the electric fan?

KISS... Keep it Simple Stu**d...

Question:
If there is something inherently wrong with my set up, or you do not have an AC unit, why make the situation harder to fix, my set up works great, and it is so simple. If you are overheating you are not going to be using your AC anyway...Comments...
Sean M.

Re: KISS... Keep it Simple Stu**d...

ROCKWGN said:
Question:
If there is something inherently wrong with my set up, or you do not have an AC unit, why make the situation harder to fix, my set up works great, and it is so simple. If you are overheating you are not going to be using your AC anyway...Comments...
Sean M.
Actually I do like your idea.
I was just sending him some info on the switch he was asking about.
Personally I have this switch. Got it from Checker for about $16.00. I like the fact that of course you're not running the AC if you're getting hot, but I can adjust it to come on automatically at any given temp. No flipping a switch, then turning on the non-funtioning AC. Just me!
Thanks,
Dan.

Back