• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

20 horsepower

xj9687

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for some time now and haven't been able to find anything on this so i decided to post. Has anyone used one of these 20 horsepower chips found at www.20horsepower.com. I have been wondering if they do anything at all and any help or info on this would be great.

most likely, all the "chip" does is plug into your existing MAT sensor and confuse the ECU that your engine is getting zero degree air, and your jeep dumps more gas into the cylinder in order to burn the air that it thinks is colder. they definitely dont give 20 hp. maybe one or two, but waste gas.

-tim

Im thinking i might just buy it and see how it goes and if i do ill let you guys know but still post if you have any experience with this thing.

Total BS.

Let's start with the basics... "reported horsepower gains of up to 20+ HP." Reported by who? Tested how? Some guy that they paid probably said, "Wow! Feels like at least 20 horsepower to me!" and so now they're talking about "reported" gains. BS!

Then they say the stoichiometric fuel mix is a "balance between power and fuel economy." No, it's not. The stoichiometric ratio (14.7:1) is where you achieve the maximum possible amount of power for the fuel burned. They say that you'll get a small reduction in fuel mileage, but a large increase in horsepower, by giving the engine a richer mixture. WRONG! What you'll get is a LARGE reduction in fuel mileage and a SMALL increase in horsepower! Not only that, but running overly rich causes all sorts of other havoc in the engine. More BS!!

They say that their module changes the fuel curve, and then say that this "improves" the shift speed. Well, I don't know how the computers work in every engine out there, but in a Jeep the shifting of the automatic transmission has nothing at all to do with how rich or lean the fuel mixture is. Yet MORE BS!!!

On their FAQ page they say "your gas mileage will be the same." And then they say "the change will be virtually unnoticable!" Leaving aside the fact that they don't know how to spell, which is it!?! Will it stay the same? Or won't it? Let me tell you, if their miracle horsepower comes from running an over-rich mixture, you very definitely WILL notice the reduction in gas mileage! And yet further BS!!!

An hour on a dyno doesn't cost that much. If this POS was actually worth anything they would have spent the small amount of time and money to PROVE it! If it sounds too good to be true... You know the rest.

dmillion said:
Total BS.

Let's start with the basics... "reported horsepower gains of up to 20+ HP." Reported by who? Tested how? Some guy that they paid probably said, "Wow! Feels like at least 20 horsepower to me!" and so now they're talking about "reported" gains. BS!

Then they say the stoichiometric fuel mix is a "balance between power and fuel economy." No, it's not. The stoichiometric ratio (14.7:1) is where you achieve the maximum possible amount of power for the fuel burned. They say that you'll get a small reduction in fuel mileage, but a large increase in horsepower, by giving the engine a richer mixture. WRONG! What you'll get is a LARGE reduction in fuel mileage and a SMALL increase in horsepower! Not only that, but running overly rich causes all sorts of other havoc in the engine. More BS!!

They say that their module changes the fuel curve, and then say that this "improves" the shift speed. Well, I don't know how the computers work in every engine out there, but in a Jeep the shifting of the automatic transmission has nothing at all to do with how rich or lean the fuel mixture is. Yet MORE BS!!!

On their FAQ page they say "your gas mileage will be the same." And then they say "the change will be virtually unnoticable!" Leaving aside the fact that they don't know how to spell, which is it!?! Will it stay the same? Or won't it? Let me tell you, if their miracle horsepower comes from running an over-rich mixture, you very definitely WILL notice the reduction in gas mileage! And yet further BS!!!

An hour on a dyno doesn't cost that much. If this POS was actually worth anything they would have spent the small amount of time and money to PROVE it! If it sounds too good to be true... You know the rest.

x2

that and their site was designed by a knob...

on the applications page, it is listed to work on a 1990-2001 cherokee. why not a 1989? if it works on a 1990, there is no difference between a 90 and a 89 electronically or otherwise.

perhaps they meant 1991-2001, but in any case, they have no idea what they are talking about. this is a universal piece of junk. if you took the thing apart there is probably a tiny resistor inside.

if you want to confuse the hell out of your ecu and waste gas, all you need to do is find out the resistance of the MAT sensor at zero degrees and find a resistor at a local radio or electronics shop (~$1) and wire that into your MAT sensor. that is all these things do.

if you did want one of these things, you can get them on ebay for less than $5.

-tim

Side-By-Side Comparison of Popular Performance Modifications

Modification Est. Hp Gain Retail Price Cost Per HP
Underdrive Pulley 8 HP $125 $15.63
AEM Cold Air Intake 8 HP $200 $25.00
JET V-Force 10 HP $270 $27.00
Single Ceramic Header 5 HP $175 $35.00
Cat-Back Exhaust 10 HP $400 $40.00
Turbo/Supercharger 100 HP $2000 $20.00
Velocity Performance Module 20 HP $29.99 $1.50

:roflmao: :bs:

If I install three will I gain 60 HP?!?! :)

I'll bet if I installed this plus the "Tornado" I would never notice any drop in MPG and STILL get the 20 HP increase!!

;)

The best of both worlds...

LMFAO

Back