• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question Of Crank

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading a thread on here about crank bearings from a 4.2 working in a 4.0 I read there that they have the same part number but then that the style of the bearings changed. I am fixing to order a crankshaft kit this weekend for a 4.0 of mine. The kit that I ordered was designed for a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2 L. It comes with a bearing set as well. I was just wondering if all these bearings will work in a 97 block of mine. Thanks for the help. I searched for this too but couldnt come up with anything.

As I recall, later 4.0 blocks moved the bearing tangs from the side to the centre.

Since the journal sizes are the same for the 4.0 and 4.2 (and 199 and 232/3.2 and 3.8 as well...) you should use the bearings for your block, and stick the crankshaft in them (since it doesn't care about bearing locating tangs.)

5-90

GoliathJeeper said:
I was reading a thread on here about crank bearings from a 4.2 working in a 4.0 I read there that they have the same part number but then that the style of the bearings changed. I am fixing to order a crankshaft kit this weekend for a 4.0 of mine. The kit that I ordered was designed for a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2 L. It comes with a bearing set as well. I was just wondering if all these bearings will work in a 97 block of mine. Thanks for the help. I searched for this too but couldnt come up with anything.

The 4.0 and 4.2 rod bearings are the same for all years so you can use the 4.2 rod bearings.
Unfortunately the 4.2 main bearings have the locating tangs on the side so they'll only fit in 4.2 blocks and Renix 4.0 blocks. You'll need the later style main bearings with the locating tangs in the center for the '91+ 4.0 block. The Clevite part no. for the later style bearings is MS-1947P.

Back