• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 front shaft question

winchell182

NAXJA Forum User
How do I find out the count on my front shaft? Is the front shaft the input gear spline?

Also if an SYE kit says upgrade rear shaft to 32 spline, does that have anything to do with rear axel?

I want to know cause I want to buy this.
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/np231hd/std.html

I want to just replace the whole t-case w/SYE already installed so i know all parts are good. It's on an 89 xj and dont think the prev owner took to much care. It doesn't run right now, rear ds is out, so i was looking to tow it,have someone swap out old with new and have a driveable car. This is easiest way for me.

I could not find posts talking about front shaft.

thanks in advanced.

'87-90 6 cyl AW4 auto are 21 spline.
'91 up (HO motor) 6cyl AW4 auto are 23 spline.
Peugeot 5 spd are 21 spline.
AX15 5 spd (6 cyl) are 23 spline.
AX4 5 spd (4 cyl) are 21 spline.

The input shaft and spline count doesn't have anything to do with buying an SYE. It would matter if you were buying a 4 to 1 kit. I assume by front shaft you mean input shaft, coming from the transmission. The front driveshaft is connected to the front output shaft of the t-case.

Yea I know the input shaft doesnt have any bearing on the SYE. I want to buy a whole t-case with an SYE already installed so it will be a direct swap and bolt in w/no problems.

it says comes with input gear spline of your choice. I assume that is the shaft in the front of the t-case for the front ds.

But thank you guess I need to just find out what tranny I have now.

winchell182 said:
Yea I know the input shaft doesnt have any bearing on the SYE. I want to buy a whole t-case with an SYE already installed so it will be a direct swap and bolt in w/no problems.

it says comes with input gear spline of your choice. I assume that is the shaft in the front of the t-case for the front ds.

But thank you guess I need to just find out what tranny I have now.
No,its the output shaft of the transmission to the input shaft of the transfer case.

Back