• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinion poll!

Opinion Poll:

• A: Run with 235/75/15 until I find a D44 and then re-gear?

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • B: Run 31-32" tires on stock axles without regearing?

Votes: 90 70.3%
  • C: Re-gear D35 and run Larger tires, beark D35 and then find a D44?

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • D: Hidden choice, "the wife is right, stop spending her money. . . ."

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters

ZomBrady

Chubby Chaser Extraordinaire
NAXJA Member
ok, here is the deal, ladies and gentlemen.

I've assemble the items I need to complete a 3" lift on my XJ, but I hesitate adding larger tires to the mix before re-gearing my axles. In turn, I also hesitate re-gearing the stock D35, and then getting a D44 and do it all over again. . . .

So what do you think?

A: Run with 235/75/15 until I find a D44 and then re-gear?

B: Run 31-32" tires on stock axles without regearing?

C: Re-gear D35 and run Larger tires, break the D35 and then find a D44?

D: Hidden choice, "the wife is right, stop spending her money. . . ."

Last edited:
Run on the 35 till you find an 8.25/d44, after you find that, regear.

Run what ever you want... when it breaks, tell the wife you need to upgrade...

Come home with flowers for the Wife, tell her how much you love her, ask her if she lost 10lbs, and then take your cell phone out to the garage and place your order for your D44 & 9 inch.

pottenger said:
Come home with flowers for the Wife, tell her how much you love her, ask her if she lost 10lbs, and then take your cell phone out to the garage and place your order for your D44 & 9 inch.

This one will happen after my ol'lady gets her PhD in a couple of years, we live nice, but all of the stuff I've collect is used and or homemade by me. Keeps costs down, ya know? But once she gets the Doctorate, she can keep in the fashion that I, oh so, deserve.

Curry HP44 and 9" sure would be nice. Definitely on the dream list. Along with the forced induction.

Break what you have accidentally or on purpose and then say that the upgrade is the same price or less expensive than the stock parts.

just run what ya got and if it breaks, thats a perfect reason to upgrade...

i run my 33's on 27 spline 8.25 with 3.55's only cause i cant decide which axle i want to upgrade to... by the time i make up my mind, ill have saved the $$$ to swap em out :D

cal said:
Run on the 35 till you find an 8.25/d44, after you find that, regear.

There is a lot of fun to be had running on 31s, open/open. Have some fun and learn to wheel your rig before you start putting money into things you may change your mind about.

Locally, the only place you may not be able to run are some of the trails at JV.

EDIT: If there is still tread (or side walls) on your stock tires, run those till they are dead. The new suspension will introduce you to new tire hazards.

Last edited:
i ran 31" on my d35 with 3:55 gears and had a lot of fun. the factory limited slip was sorta working even. watch the skinny pedal and try to be smooth (unlike me!) and it should get you by untill you can find a decent d44 cheap . what ever you do, don't put a "quick-loc" lunchbox locker in the 44, you'll regret it! it worked well enough on the trail but was just plain bad on the street..

I have 31s with my stock axles (8.25/3.55 gears) now and it's not all that bad. Noticeable performance hit, but definitely still drivable. It’s still feels quicker than my ZR2 Blazer with factory 31s and 3.73 gears, but I’m not doing the accidental burnouts I had with the nearly bald and brick hard 235/75s that were on there when I bought it. 32s might be pushing it, but I’d want more than 3” lift for those anyways.

Depending on how you drive it, that d35 might last you a very long time, but I wouldn’t dump money into it that could go toward something beefier.

I have been running 31's on a D35 with 3.55s for 2.5 years, I just put a locker in the Dana 30. Do what you want to do and suck up to your wife a lot.

Back