• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Amber Fire Sport

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the market for another Cherokee (A Daily Driver). I found an 01 Amber Fire Sport at a local used car dealer that I really like. Amber fire is probably my favorite XJ color so I am very interested. But I am not sure what to pay.

Here are the specs:
01 Cherokee Sport
4.0L, AW4, 231
Amber Fire
95 K
Very clean inside and out.

They are asking $8,900. I believe it is a good deal but wanted to check you guys opinions first. The asking price is under KBB retail price. I haven't driven it yet, but I am seriously considering selling my 93 XJ (2dr, 5speed, silver) and buying this.

What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone have a access to free carfax?
1J4FF48S01L611078

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

[email protected]

Ya know the prices very from area to area. But I think that is a little high. 2 Years ago i bought a loaded 98 classic with 99k on it and i only paid 5200 for it. It is a very nice jeep. From what i have seen here in colorado springs that may be a little high.

Sounds like a nice XJ, but really will never know till you drive it around. Try out the options it has and make sure they work. Also just give a good over view powertrain (4X4 Hi/Lo, cruise, lights and guages, etc) and make sure it looks like it has been maintained. Carfax reports are always good. You might get one from the salesmen if you ask. The price sound ok, but I'm sure you can still work with him on it. Overall sound like a good jeep.
Alex

yeah, that does seem high, i would check ebay to get a real idea of what people are actually paying. I just bought an xj for my dad that had 3" lift, nice rims, 4.0 auto in perfect shape, with 90K for 5500 on ebay.

I am thinking the price might be a tad bit high also for the mileage. But I might jump on it just because of the color. I am driving it and looking it over closer tomorrow evening.

I have had many XJ's but none 96 or newer, Is there anything in particular I should look for besides the obvious?

3 weeks ago, I paid $7400 for a clean 2000 Sport with 90K, Upcountry with all the factory skids, tow package and bells/whistles, FWIW. Utah

Yea the mileage is what is throwing me off on the pricing. There are a few other 01 sports in my are with between 40-50K and they are all listed for right around $11,500.

I am not afraid of the miles (my 96 has 154K, and my 93 has 163K), I just don't want to pay too much. I am a cheap ass. HA HA.

Fred85 said:
if possible, i think you should get the lowest mileage you can for obvious reasons

Yeah, but since any XJ you buy is going to be used it's really a case of 'beggars can't be choosers' - and there's nothing wrong with 95000 an an I6 provided it's been maintained.

The price seems OK, but I think you've got some haggle room there given the mileage and age - after all, it's a five-year-old vehicle that's covered an above-average annual mileage. Be sure to take the VIN down to the local Chrysler/Jeep dealer and have them pull a VIP report - the sections you want are the recall and maintenance history as well as the option sheet. This should give you some idea of how well taken care of the vehicle was (at least initially) as well as if any applicable recall or TSB work has been performed.

As for prices being high or low, they seem to vary quite a bit regionally. That same vehicle on a dealer's lot here in Los Angeles would have a sticker on it in the low five-figures range.

If you're in the market for an 01' DD, hold off on the Sport model and wait until you can find a Limited. You're going to get a nicer trim package, and the upgrade to 16" aluminum wheels is a great DD upgrade. Unless it's a Jeep dealer, they're probably not going to know the difference in prices between the sport and the limited, so they should be close to the same price. Plus, I gotta believe since this is the last year of the XJ, the Limited is going to be worth more in the Long-run, as they're less common than the sports.

I picked up my 01' limited, with all the bells and whistles, plus a 4.5" BDS lift, 31" Yokohamas, with 30K for $15,000 two years ago. Couldn't be happier, except for the Yokos. Back to BFG ATKO's as soon as the Yoko's are bald.

TheDogsAreDead said:
If you're in the market for an 01' DD, hold off on the Sport model and wait until you can find a Limited. You're going to get a nicer trim package, and the upgrade to 16" aluminum wheels is a great DD upgrade.

Good point on the Limited vs. Sport - but some Sports came with the 16" alloys as an option; my '01 Sport had them. Limited trim spec is definitely an improvement, though.

Also be sure to check for stuff like the Up-Country and tow packages. Up-Country adds an extra inch into the suspension, front tow hooks, skidplates on the front, under the transfer case, and on the gas tank. The tow package is recommended even if you're not planning on towing since it adds a transmission cooler; there's a noticeable difference in the amount of heat coming off of the AW4 into the cabin in my Limited with tow package vs. the Sport which didn't have it.

I got lucky when I found the 2000 Limited last year: after calling (and I mean this literally) every dealer within 12 hours' drive of Los Angeles looking for an XJ with the spec I wanted, one turned up in the paper 30 miles from me. Looked at it, got a smoking hot deal because it had come in from Michigan and had surface rust on hard parts like the axle tubes from being used in the snow. That it also had the Up-Country and tow packages was a major bonus, and I freaking *love* my seat heaters :D

Yea a limited would be ideal and great but they are few and far between in my area. The only reason I am leaning towards this particular XJ is the color. I have only ever seen 2 or 3 of this color on the road and have always liked them.

took me two months to settle on mine. Test drove plenty of sports, and even a 50 year anniversary edition model. I would have bought the 50 yr ann model, but the previous owner had destroyed the console trying to install a satellite radio mounting base. A limited will come around...just give it time. By the time limited i bought showed up, i knew more about the options package than the dealer did. (actually, i lucked out. it was at a ford dealership as a trade in, and they just wanted it gone. i asked the dealer if it had selec-trac or command-trac, and he looked at me funny and said "yes").

That color is rare in my book. I don't think I have even seen one in person. So like you I would be looking very closely at it just because of that. About the only advice I can as far as things you can look at in a test drive. Is check the window operation from all the seets. On the newer body style the window lock seems to go bad, and won't let any other switch control the windows except for the driver switches. Also teh front speakers will quit working 'cause of the wires getting over flexed in the boot that connectes the door to the body. That would be an easy fix, and something that would be a very good bargening chip for in the know byer. Something else to maby through in the deal is a 12 month warenty on the A/C system it is increadibly expensive to fix if it quits working. Another thing to check is the bracked that holds the center consle to the floor. It is just plastic, and is easy to break. I have replaced mine twice. If your serious about bying it make them let you take it for say the weekend to really get a good look over it. If it is possable have the oil checked for coolent. The heads on the 00/01's are notourous for cracking between the 3rd & 4th (I think) cylinder.

scoobyxj said:
That color is rare in my book. I don't think I have even seen one in person. So like you I would be looking very closely at it just because of that. About the only advice I can as far as things you can look at in a test drive. Is check the window operation from all the seets. On the newer body style the window lock seems to go bad, and won't let any other switch control the windows except for the driver switches. Also teh front speakers will quit working 'cause of the wires getting over flexed in the boot that connectes the door to the body. That would be an easy fix, and something that would be a very good bargening chip for in the know byer. Something else to maby through in the deal is a 12 month warenty on the A/C system it is increadibly expensive to fix if it quits working. Another thing to check is the bracked that holds the center consle to the floor. It is just plastic, and is easy to break. I have replaced mine twice. If your serious about bying it make them let you take it for say the weekend to really get a good look over it. If it is possable have the oil checked for coolent. The heads on the 00/01's are notourous for cracking between the 3rd & 4th (I think) cylinder.

Excellent. Thanks for the info scooby.

I agree. Sit in all the seats and check the electronics. I've heard that from many sources, but haven't experienced any problems with mine yet.

About the only trouble i've had is a phantom check engine light. Went on, needed new plugs. went on again, went off. now it pops up randomly, but i haven't had it diagnosed yet. other than that, it's been regular maintainance and an awesome purchase.

scoobyxj said:
That color is rare in my book. I don't think I have even seen one in person.

Me neither, now that I think of it. Anyone have a link to a photo showing it?

I have only seen teh ram and tj with that color and possibly a few neons and other dc products but never an xj. I would also buy it just for the color.

Back