• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone tell me how their homebrew leafs ride.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
Right now I have ZJ V8 coils and spacers up front. I cut a main leaf from a stock XJ pack to add to mine for a BB. I put a 3/4" shackle on and I got 3" or a little more. I just wanted 2" BB and thought this was a good idea. Not only did I get the lift, but I really liked the ride. Firmmer than stock, but not hard. Front and rear balance well.

So now I will be putting RE 3.5 coils up front, might use the 3/4 spacer too. Will have to see where my rear sits after that. Been reading about Dakotas and S-10 packs, as well as adding more leafs from the rest of the stock pack I still have.

I see lift results, but no real ride results. I would like to keep the ride I have now. Will have to see how the RE 3.5 compare. Would like firmer than stock, but not hard. Also, I don't carry a lot of weight or tow, so I don't NEED heavy duty rear springs. Anyone have a opinion of how the Dakota/Durango/S-10/Explorer hybrids ride compared to stock? What is a good mellow flexy hybrid pack? I think I'm close to where I want to be. Will keep the shackle in there. My thought was if I added more stock leafs, that would also add stiffness. Thanks a lot for any input.

Since you still have the rest of that stock pack, why not just thow in the second leaf and give it a shot before buying more packs? If you like the ride you got from just the one main leaf, you are really going to be impressed with adding the second leaf, and you will get about another 1-1.25" out of it. When I first did my article, I started out with just the main leaf, then later on added the second leaf. I too was worried about adding the second XJ leaf because I thought it would be too stiff, but I was absolutely amazed at how much better it seemed to be even after adding the second leaf. Give it a shot, what have you go to lose?

Man, do you ever rest? Of course you are the one that told me. I've been thinking about it. I wanted to get some used RE packs, but I've spent a lot on my little project so... I thought about a longer shackle... I guess the only harm in trying the stock leafs would be time and 2 centering bolt. That is cheap. So it isn't any stiffer hu? You have probably had some experience with RE coils, how do you think they would balance?

(I would still like other input too.)

Nope, I'm either in the garage or on the drafting table (near the computer :D ). It is a little more firm, but not in a harsh way, and the extended shackle will really help if you don't want it much firmer. I haven't had a single complaint yet from anyone who has used my tech article or my lift kits. If you have ever riden in an XJ with those single thick aftermarket AAL's, you can definately tell a difference in the quality of firmness.

Oops, missed the coils part. Are they new or used? The XJ 3.5" coils will sit about 4" if you don't have any weight on the front end. They ride pretty nice, a little soft in my opinion, which is why I use the ZJ 3.5" coils, but they give more around 4.5-5" of lift. Throw the coils in (measure before and after installation to figure how much lift gained) and if you are sitting level with your current setup, and throw those RE coils in, and gain about 1-1.25" lift, then give the second leaf thing a try. Just takes time and about $2 for center pins.

Thanks. The coils are used, less than a year. I bought those 2" spacers from you cause I'm about an inch low up front. Was going to put in coils and see change. If I need too, I will throw in the 3/4 spacer. I want a solid 3.5" to 4" up front. Can't get too carried away. I'm getting LCAs and DTs for a RE 3.5. No uppers, or TB, and my discos I have now might only be good to 3".

Anyway, enough about me, back to the thread....

Thanks for the thread! I've collected all the parts to do just the same thing, and have been wondering how it will end up after it's all done.

I have nine leaves, and it rides softer than most lifted XJ's. At least, when people get in for a ride they often say how good a ride it is. To me, the important thing is to minimize friction in the spring pack. Be sure to use the plastic pads on the ends of the leaves, and then either get some full length liners or at minimum use a short section of liner between each leaf in the middle under the spring plate. The short section of liner in the middle, and the pads on the ends, create a gap between the leaves that reduces friction and gives a better ride without reducing spring rate......and the liner adds a small amount of lift.

The shorter leaves keep the pack from compressing as much, but don't affect the ride as much as adding a longer leaf. The important thing is to keep the spacing between the leaves a even as possible.

So Goat, or is that Mr. Man? What you are saying is that if I wanted to have less impact on my ride, use the shorter stock leafs (or is it leaves) that I have instead of the longer ones?

And also, by spacing, do you mean the ends of the leaves or the spacing between each piece of metal? I assume you mean the leaf lengths.

When I did my pack, I was going to use pads but didn't. Now would probably be a good time to set them up right. Actually, now would be a good time to go to bed. See ya tomorow.

Bueller, Bueller....

I did the S-10 lift on the rear of my XJ. Used the whole S-10 pack under my XJ main leaf (after cutting the eyes off of the S-10 pack of course). Got just under 5" of lift from the deal.

As for the ride? It does "buck" some. Not as soft of a ride as stock, but I can put a LOT of weight in the back or tow a big camper and the ass doesnt squat much at all. (I like that).

As for articulation for crawling and such? I go wheeling at a couple of off-road areas and have had great success with the set-up so far. I dont get as much stuffing into the fenders as those with softer springs, but I've gone through some pretty hairy areas without losing any traction.

Does this set-up provide the kind of performance that a true aftermarket spring pack (i.e. RE or SkyJacker)? No. But for the price ($80.00 for both sets of leaves), I'm very happy.

You can see the lift I got on my website.

Hope this helps.

James

http://www.tsmdesigns.com/LawDawgs/xj.html

Last edited:
Thanks DSN49. That is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Anyone else with Dakotas or Durangos or Explorers???

I have the top two leafs from a Dakota in the back of mine for about 3" It rides pretty stiff. But I can't decide if its the spring rate or that my 14 year old stock shocks are overextended.

I used all the S-10 leafes (less the helper) and all the XJ's. Went with the 1.5" shackle. Not quite on the road yet (really sucks!) I am anticipating the ride to be pretty flexable but still stiffer than stock. I used 1/8" x 2" UHMW that I had cut to be about 1/4" longer than the lower spring. 7 leafes about 44 feet altogether :)

Man, I wish I knew how to post up pics. Anyone wanna give a newb some advice on that? I don't have a free host, the "other" car board I hang out on, you can upload small pics to the board itself.

Anyways, I did a homebrew lift on my '97 XJ about 6 months ago. Used 1978 Ford F150 (actually called F100) springs up front with a 1.75" spacer for a total lift of 3.75". Out back, I used Dakota leaf packs, cut the main leaf, and used ALL of the leafs from the Dakota in conjunction with my main leaf which stayed in place on the Jeep. Total lift in back, even 4".

First off, it DOES ride firm. EVERYONE around my community (Friends/ EVERY shop) that I have told my set up, I ALWAYS get the look of "WTF are you doing?". Another friend was talking smack that I was going to have NO articulation.

WELL, after adding JKS quicker disconnects up front, and removing the rear sway bar, I would personally like to tell them all that they can kiss my ass! For a freaking (roughly) 4" lift that cost under $200, it articulates JUST fine.

I bought used Rubicon rims and tires all the way around, and at full stuff up front, the front (stock Rubicon 235-75-16) tires rub the front fenders. I don't have articulation? Without cutting, and longer springs, I would say it does just fine. Plus, I have the added satisfaction in knowing I did it all myself, in my garage.

Don't mean to sound like an ass, I do NOT have a bad ass rig, I KNOW there are WAY better rigs out there (my neighbors for instance) but hell, for as much money as I've put in 'er, I'm happy as hell.

James

Last summer I found some dakota springs and threw them under the jeep. I have about 5" of lift with Rusty's 1.5" shackles. At the same time I did the springs, I replaced my broken ranchos with some Old Man Emu shocks. The ride is great, better than it was with my old kit (rancho add a leaf in the orginal XJ pack.) I can fill my rig with tools, or move to Alberta with all my material possesions, and the thing doesn't squat much. Traction is great, and even empty it rides very well. I did not use the longest Dakota leaf as it was too much lift for me. Eventually I may use it when the packs sag, but for now, it's great. Plus, you get an overload leaf which is sweet! The Dakota lift is burly, cheap and it rides like a dream. Hope that helps! I know swear by OME shocks too, that may be a big part of why it rides so nice...

Well, since I have the extra pack, I am going to try it first to see what it gives me. I think I'm close and 1 leaf will probably do it. Goatman, if it gives me enough lift I am going to take them out, strip them, paint them and give them the royal message to get them working right.

I am still interested in other packs though. I went to the yard today to get a quick look, and will go back Friday when I have more time.

Back