• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axel disconnect question

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
Yodels all.

I am waiting on a part to get rid of that crappy vacuum disconnect on my front axel. In the meantime, all this snow has created some icy streets and a lifted XJ with new BFG ATs slides everywhere, even with tons of weight in the back.

The question I have is can I lock the front disconnect somehow and is it safe to drive on dry pavement at highway speeds?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes. Did this to my '90 a year ago. Take off the Disco, block the shift lever in the engaged position ( I used a hose clamp around the shaft, but I live in the Ozarks ) and mount the disco back upside down with the slider engaged. Check fluid and top off.

The '92 up don't have a disco - works for them - just take it easy in 4W on dry ground, of course; in 2W you will notice a little more grabbing in the front when turning a tight corner.

I then disco'd the rest of the vac gear and installed it on the garage floor to scavenge for other repairs. The metal lines look real handy for new engine vac lines - beats the plastic junk- but the color coded ones are nice . . .

Back