• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift install problem

emtpiston

NAXJA Forum User
just took a 4" lift off another xj to swap out my stock suspension. started putting the springs, spacers, shocks and CA (which where the same length as my stock ones). Did one side w/o any trouble but when i got to the other side after putting in the spring spacer and shock i couldn't get the CA in. the whole axle is shifted to the driver side (the side i started on) and the passenger wheel assembly is pushed back.

What did i do wrong and how to i fix it? HELP

well the track bar is probably not the right length now that the distance from the axle mount to the body mount is farther apart.
i guess that i would suggest to do both sides at the same time. or undo the track bar while installing.

Good Luck

This is what I did. Makes it very easy. With the jeep lifted up on jack stands and your control arms attached drop the axle down to the floor, or very close. Get as much clearance so it is very is to put your springs in. Then you can Jack up the front axle and press the springs up.

Also you need to attach your track bar before putting the springs in. Without the track bar your axle will shift on you.

the_cherokee said:
well the track bar is probably not the right length now that the distance from the axle mount to the body mount is farther apart.
i guess that i would suggest to do both sides at the same time. or undo the track bar while installing.

Good Luck

Did you have the track bar still attached? If so put your arms on the axle first. Like said above, you might need a longer track bar.

you have to have a track bar. Try what I have said, check for binding. Maybe a new track bar is in store for you.

ok, undo the track bar, move axle back in place, attach CA, jack axle back up and try and reattach track bar. anyone put in a 4" lift with stock track bar?

im doing what i can to keep this thing low cost. between my other truck my bike and now this jeep, using exisiting components is ideal. any way to use the stock bar?

there is a way to do anything. question should be is it safe and is it feasable.

emtpiston said:
im doing what i can to keep this thing low cost. between my other truck my bike and now this jeep, using exisiting components is ideal. any way to use the stock bar?

Remove track bar, weld up hole or cover with 1/8th plate or bigger, redrill to center axle. NOT the right way to do it though.

What about the track bar that was on the Jeep you took parts from to begin with? since it is already set up for that lift. You may be able to use it or you can redrill yours or buy aftermarket..

Back