• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a cowl panel...

SuperRA

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, new here and just got my family's 19yr old Cherokee. The cowl panel is rusted through near where it meets the bottom of the A-pillar and front fender meet. It is also rusting all along the bottom of the windshield. I can't find a replacement panel anywhere, will I have to cut one from another jeep? Has anyone else had rust in this area?

Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem cost me about a grand to get it fixed, that piece is wleded in and is one solid piece all the wal across. If your confident with your welding skills you could order a new piece for like 1000 and cut the old one out and weld the new one in yourself or if you dont pay someone 1000 to just cut out the rust and weld in new metal, seal, paint, etc. chances are that you also have rust in the seal between the headliner and the dash. Eventually, the windshield will just fall in you lap at the most inopportune time (75mph on the freeway), and before that it will leak and cause all kinds of electrical problems with your stereo and power accessories.

Let the power of the sawzall be with you,
Jackson

Hi Jackson, thanks for the reply. Yea, that's the problem I'm having. The cutting and welding I am confident at, I've cut, fabricated, and replaced rusted panels on my 69 Pontiac... I just didn't want to fabricate if I didn't absolutely have to. Well, meanwhile, I have found the (discontinued) panel at some dealer across the country, it costs about $250. But if I get the chance, I will cut one out of a parts jeep if I find one somewhere. This is the major difficulty I'm having, finding the replacement panel. Seeing how I haven't gotten too much of a response to this thread, I'm assuming that not many people had this problem. Anyhow, thanks.

Geno said:
Sounds to me like your better off with a new body?
Anyway a buddy just sent me this http://www.shermanparts.com/page.php?c=shop&p=new_products&id=14
They might have what your lookin for?
I was thinkin new floor panels for mine, think I'll just transplant the roof
panel when I chop it ;)
Geno

Noooo! :tear: This Cherokee has been in my family since it was special ordered from the dealer! Anyhow, I don't think its that bad, just a matter of finding replacement metal. Well, I may have to succumb to the powers of the sawzall.

Taking the sawzall to it isnt that bad. Just consider it interventive surgery for car skin (sheetmetal) cancer, that will eventually become fatal (frame, shock mounts, firewall) if you don't do something. Plus it might be a fun project if its not you DD.
Good luck,
Jackson

Back