• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering with 34s

The_Rock

NAXJA Forum User
How well should I expect the stock steering box and pump on a 2000 work for steering 34 x 12.5 TrXus MTs. I will be putting a C-Rok on the frame so I'm more worried about how well it will be able to move the tires off road. I have a truetrac now but will go to a locker next year.

Pump and box should be alright(for a while at least), a power steering cooler wouldn't hurt though. I'd be more worried about your tie rod and drag link if you're running stock steering. I killed many a stock tie rod when I had 33" tires.

In the rocks, it is going to take some work to turn with the locked front end. I agree with the above, but if you want to go ahead and do a simple and cheap upgrade, get a steering box from a '99 4x4 Dodge Durango with the 318. Big difference in steering ability on the rocks. Just need a few washers to space the Durango box out a little from the unibody because of the bigger cylinder, but it bolts right in. Jeepin' Jason has a write up on doing this.

Is Jason's right up in this forum? What about a YJ box?

Yep, just look up Jeepin' Jason and Durango and it should come up. I have heard about using YJ boxes, but I "think" the Durango has more power. I see you are in the Springs.:D

Thanks for the help I found Jason's write up. I just ordered up a set of TrXus 34x12.5 and since this is my first set of tires larger than 32 I'm trying to figured out what the next set of modification I need to start thinking about. I heard from the Colorado Chapter meeting that we are going out to Chinaman's late in March or April so I guess that we be the test of how the stock box works with the 34s. I only have a Truetrac in the front for now so that should help.

thanks again

Back