• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bfg's or mt/r's?

89laredo

NAXJA Forum User
im getting new tires in about 3 weeks and have narrowed it down to the bfg mud terrains or the goodyear mt/r's. My jeep sees mostly street but when i do wheel , its safe to say im not exactly easy on it. i need a tire that will last long, have good road manners, and be strong enough for my abuse off road and relatively cheap. ive narrowed it down to these two, which do you think is the best choice?

thanks
david

Go with MT/R's. They seem to last a little longer and they are not as loud on the street. If you rotate often they will last for a good amount of time. Off road they seem to work bette for me. Just my 2 cents

jeepboy_90 said:
Go with MT/R's. They seem to last a little longer and they are not as loud on the street. If you rotate often they will last for a good amount of time. Off road they seem to work bette for me. Just my 2 cents

I think the MT/R's are a better tire all around but I disagree with them being quieter. Both are good tires. I think on this forum you will get more positive responses about the MT/R's.

BFG's. I get over 50K on mine and I have run them exclusivly for 14 years and over 250K miles. I cannot speak to the BFG's on rock....but in the midwest mud.....they really shine.

Rev

the firestone destination m/t is a very nce tire but they tear lugs off relly easy in the rocks which is waht im into most. my buddy is running the 31" destination and has ripped three lugs off in about 6 months

I've had a couple of sets of BFG's, and gotten GREAT milage out of the (like 70K). They do get loud as they wear, but I have never really had a complaint about their performance or longevity. That said, I have a set of MTR's in my garage as my next tire, so I guess I listened to the boys on the board here too. :laugh3:

MTRs all the way. They only kind of suck in the clay/mud, but just about any tire other than a Bogger will. BFG MT might have a slight advantage in the mud, but MTRs are so nice and quite on the street and do good at just about anything. You can also get them at Sam's Club/Wal Mart for a decent price. I think 37x12.50x15 were $196/ea. I know you might want a smaller tire, but that's just a reference.

Troy

i try to stay away from the mud but being in MO and IN it gets kinda hard sometimes, i like the rocks mostly. im going to get 33x12.5's

Get the MTR's, ive seen a couple BFG's cut side walls oj simple stuff.

Dunno, up here in MI most people have better luck with BFG's on the street. I've done quite a bit of tire work myself in a shop, and I'd say that the goodyears are of lesser quality than the BFG's and wear faster from what I've seen. The BFG's I've had have all lasted 45k and then I replace them just because I want to.....

The MTR's tend to load up in the mud up here as well, and I've also seen MTR's loose sidewalls on easy crap as well....over all, I'd say it's a toss up, but ask anyone who knows tires and they'll probably tell you goodyear's are over priced (talking people who mount them all day long)

Checked into Cooper STS's?

no i havent checked into the coopers. i work at goodyear right now but my boss couldnt get me much of a deal because we dont do much with those tires because we are in downtown indy, but i can get them about the same price as a bfg

I just replaced my BFG's with MTR's and I'm not looking back. I have MTR's on the XJ and the Land Rover now, and still have BFG AT's on my truck .. but will probably do MT/R's there next time around too.

They do tend to wear out a little faster than other tires, as they are a soft rubber compound. You get what you pay for though. My biggest problem with BFG's was the bead protector built into the tire.. sand and mud would get between it and the rim, work into the bead and cause a slow leak. I'd wheel for three hours and wake up in the morning to find two or three flat tires.. have to pull them off the wheel, clean the crap out of the bead, and put them back on. Hasnt been a problem on the MTRs yet.

Back