• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing hose from Master Clutch

Rattlesnake

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, but have been a lurker for quite some time. Usually I can find everything I need without posting, but I searched for this problem I'm having and can't find the answer anywhere.

I'm trying to remove the hose from my master cylinder (which I'm trying to replace). I've having trouble figuring out how to disconnet it from the female end where it actually goes into the MC. It seems there is a little screw type thing (though to me it just looks like a little piece of metal) that runs through the MC and perpendicular to the hose that holds it in and I can't figure out how to (or if) I need to remove it. Help! The Jeep in question is a 91 XJ manual with the inline 6. Thanks in advance! = )

It should be like my 87.
You'll need a flare end wrench, it's just like a brake line.
It also makes it much easier to get at if you loosen the bolts holding the master a bit, just gives you some play to get a wrench on it proper. I can't remember the exact size of the wrench required, but I want to say somewhere around 3/8, maybe 5/16.
What's the problem with your hose that you think you need to remove it? Are you replacing the master?

Are you talking about the brake or the clutch? I haven't seen it, but I understand the clutch master on the later models (perhaps the 91 as well) doesn't have a threaded line, but it pushes in and is retained by a roll pin.

Thanks fellas! You nailed it on the head, lawsoncl... there was a little roll pin stuck in there that I eventually had to hammer out. I'm surprised it wasn't threaded, but live and learn. Thanks again for the quick help!

must be, my 89 MJ has the brake-line-type line just like you were describing, just replaced the MC for it a week ago. it also couldve been when they switched over from AX5-BA10 to the AX15 (mid-89) cause my jeep has the BA10.

Oizarod115 said:
must be, my 89 MJ has the brake-line-type line just like you were describing, just replaced the MC for it a week ago. it also couldve been when they switched over from AX5-BA10 to the AX15 (mid-89) cause my jeep has the BA10.

My 89 with an AX15 had the normal brake type fitting. I think the change was when they went to the external slave? According to Jeep, the external slave, hyd line, and master are supposed to be a sealed unit and replaced as a whole.

Back