• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detriot nospin?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I found one locally here and was thinking of getting it for my Dana 35. Which is currently blown up.

Its not a lunchbox locker, its a full carrier locker. Are these any good? Do need anything form my current rearend (ie: spider gears ?)

I know ill need my gears.

Why put the money into a dana 35? Unless its a 30 spline unit which is going to require aftermarket shafts, your going to be stuck with weak dana 35 27 spline shafts that break easily. If your going to spend the dough for a detroit, buy an 8.25 or d44 housing first and build it up.

Btw, I still have those shackles sitting on my shelf for you, but never got your address..

the problem I am finding more the the 35 is not the weak shafts. its the housing. the housing flexes and then either the detroit fails or it binds the shafts a little and they break. if your only running maybe a 31" tire AND the detroit is only a 100 or 150 then it may be OK... MAYBE...

Im running 31" MT/r's

I dont do serious wheeling. I have a 2" BB and most of the stuff I do is trails and the occasional mud. Im never on rocks, since we dont have any, so I dont have to worry about tires binding on anything. Most of the time im in low traction situatons. Where there isnt too much load on the rearend. Except when im pulling out of a driveway and the spider gears cant handle it.

Maybe ill truss the 35?

I suppose thats your call.. but i remember how easily my 35 blew up, open diff on 32's. Broke a spider gear and a shaft. Well, I'm not sure which blew first, we drug the jeep about three miles to pavement and towed it home, I could have broken one or the other dragging the jeep around. :)

I wouldnt do it. The 35 just isnt a good base to build on.

Back