• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackles or blocks?

lyle ide

NAXJA Forum User
i know most of you will say neither but with low funds and not really planning on any major four wheeling. i just put the spacers and bushings in the front and what a nightmare, every thing was rusted fast 10hrs just to do the front, however i was working by my self but still. now i have the back to do, i also want to put new bushings in, i have the shackles, 1 1/2" but i am not sure if this is good i put them on a limited i had and seemed to work well, but i have been seeing and hearing that shackles is not a good move. i figured that beings i am doing new bushings i might as well use the shackles, so what i need to know from all you xj owners is what would you do? shackles or blocks?

A decent set of greasable shackles

10 hours to put a set of spacers in?!?! All you need to do is disconnect the swaybar, shocks and spring retainer and let the axle droop.... :wierd:

jeffro, that time also included putting in the bushings i had to burn every one of them out,then when i went to install the bushings the shims (poly washers) didn't fit i had to sand them down then somehow the front axle twisted and had a hell of a time trying to get the bolts back in, i think i should of invited some one to give a hand. any how so you all say go with the shackles, ok. any ideas on the rear bushings, the bad part is the rear of the springs i can hardly get half decent access to those bolts the front of the springs atleast i can use my impact.

MyJeepXJ said:
Teraflex shackles are the shiznet! Uber beefy. I have them with my BB lift, they are GREAT.

For blox, dont go more than 1".

dont go more than 0"

i have a 1" block....whats the prob??

no prob i ran a 1.5'' and a 2.5'' with no traciton contol on it.
made the axle wrap a bit more and hop. no big deal
i kinda like the looks of blocks how it sits the leafsrping up so it wont hang on a rock.

andrew2516 said:
I've got 1" blocks and thats about as high as I would go with XJ leafs. I haven't experienced any wheel hop or anything with these and shackles(knock on wood).
And, thats exactly why we dont reccomend any more than 1", after that, you end up with the potential for problems, the taller the block the more potential. With 1", there should be no problems at all. That is, if you got a good quality block to start with.

Back