• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 w/4.56 price?

Skullver

Still Flailing
I found a rear XJ HP D44 w/4.56, track-lok, and was wondering what a fair price would be assuming everything is in good shape. thanks much

Skullvarian said:
I found a rear XJ HP D44 w/4.56, track-lok, and was wondering what a fair price would be assuming everything is in good shape. thanks much

$1,000

that is a rare unit!

one more question, anybody see a problem with installing this and removing the front DS until I can regear the front to match(currently at 3.55)?

What everyone is getting at is there was never a HP version of the dana 44 offered in the Cherokee. They were all low pinion designs. The average price for a D44 is usually about 350 without gearing and probably needing the brakes rebuilt. I'd personally only go up to 400 if the brakes were in good condition. It may be hard for you to find a deal like that unless you know someone though.

kunaji said:
What everyone is getting at is there was never a HP version of the dana 44 offered in the Cherokee. They were all low pinion designs. The average price for a D44 is usually about 350 without gearing and probably needing the brakes rebuilt. I'd personally only go up to 400 if the brakes were in good condition. It may be hard for you to find a deal like that unless you know someone though.
I figured there was something strange about the replies, I am just getting over a cold and can't think straight yet. It must have been modified to fit as the guy seems to know what he is talking about but I have yet to receive his reply. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the replies.
note to self: turn on sarcasm alert....

Indeed thats what we were leading up to. ;)

I'm curiouse what the axle really is though.

cal said:
Indeed thats what we were leading up to. ;)

I'm curiouse what the axle really is though.
Thanks again for all the input. Here is the deal, it was a retubed front HP44 modified for spring-over wrangler.

WMS to WMS is 61" and the spring perches will have to be moved to work with my xj, a good oppurtunity to adjust for pinion angle. Larger diameter drum brakes and 5X4.5 BP. Has arb now but he wants to keep it or charge me another $650.

It uses stock D44 mj/xj axle shafts so no problem that I can see with spares available. any one think this is a good move?

Any foreseeable problems I may encounter or that I should research? Any help, input, lessons you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
chris

That SOUNDS like a great rear end, how much is he asking for it? Without the arb or alloy shafts I wouldnt pay more than $500 or 600, maybe 750 if i had lots of extra cash. high pinion in the rear is nice, but how much is it really worth? Locally we can pull xj44's out of boneyards for 200 or less.

-C

Skullvarian said:
Thanks again for all the input. Here is the deal, it was a retubed front HP44 modified for spring-over wrangler.

WMS to WMS is 61" and the spring perches will have to be moved to work with my xj, a good oppurtunity to adjust for pinion angle. Larger diameter drum brakes and 5X4.5 BP. Has arb now but he wants to keep it or charge me another $650.

It uses stock D44 mj/xj axle shafts so no problem that I can see with spares available. any one think this is a good move?

Any foreseeable problems I may encounter or that I should research? Any help, input, lessons you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
chris

The HP design will actually be weaker in a rear application than a standard LP XJ D44. If he is taking out the ARB, you should budget another $150-250 to get the gears re-set-up, as you will need a new carrier. I personally wouldn't put a HP44 in the rear, as LP 44's are readily available (or 60's for that matter depending on how you wheel) and stronger, and it sounds like you will have alot of money in this rear before it is actaully serviceable.... just my 2 cents...

What is the price he is asking with and without the arb. Ranger said $1000 but you did not say that was the asking price with or without the locker. Also, I might be mistaken, as, I do not have one, but aren't arb's $650-$750 new?
I also agree with xj-grin.

afd516 said:
What is the price he is asking with and without the arb. Ranger said $1000 but you did not say that was the asking price with or without the locker. Also, I might be mistaken, as, I do not have one, but aren't arb's $650-$750 new?
Yes, that is true but it happens to be brand new, he went with nth degree mobility and his HP wouldn't work so he is doing it with LP44. He wants $650 for axle with track-lok or $1300 for it w/arb. he is having river city driveline/differential do all the work so it should be legit either way I hope. As far as the strength of a rear hp44, how much weaker, is it not worth doing?

If the gears are of good quality it should hold up to whatever you are planning to do. The weakness is that the ring gear will be driving on the backside of the teeth - but the currie hi 9's do the same thing, and people run those with 37's regularly. The ring and pinion are not going to be your weak link, so it should be ok. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it at 650, and buy a differnet locker for it .. ez-locker, detroit, spool .. I'm not a big fan of arb's, especially in rear applications.

-C

Run from it. a HP D44 housing in a rear axle is spelling disaster.
first of your using a gearset that has its strengths designed for a front axle application. your gonna be running it in reverse. (thats why the currie hi9 is not recomended for more than 200hp or 4000# vehicles. it uses a revers 8.8 gearset.)
also you are going to have oiling issues running it back there. sorry but the guy doesn't know all of what he is talking about.
the outer pinion bearing will be overstressed in the rear axle and with the lack of oil that will make it up there it will fail early.
only the brakes, shafts and locker are worth anything.

cal said:
If the gears are of good quality it should hold up to whatever you are planning to do. The weakness is that the ring gear will be driving on the backside of the teeth - but the currie hi 9's do the same thing, and people run those with 37's regularly. The ring and pinion are not going to be your weak link, so it should be ok. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it at 650, and buy a differnet locker for it .. ez-locker, detroit, spool .. I'm not a big fan of arb's, especially in rear applications.

-C
Thanks alot for the input. I gotta go bring the wife to take her driving test so I will be back in an hour or so to read/reread this posting. Thanks for all the great info. If any of you are ever in the ventura area come by my shop for some great ale, we have porter and blonde on tap here.

Rawbrown said:
Run from it. a HP D44 housing in a rear axle is spelling disaster.
first of your using a gearset that has its strengths designed for a front axle application. your gonna be running it in reverse. (thats why the currie hi9 is not recomended for more than 200hp or 4000# vehicles. it uses a revers 8.8 gearset.)
also you are going to have oiling issues running it back there. sorry but the guy doesn't know all of what he is talking about.
the outer pinion bearing will be overstressed in the rear axle and with the lack of oil that will make it up there it will fail early.
only the brakes, shafts and locker are worth anything.
I was hoping that I wouldn't get these responses, but I guess it sounded to good to be true. I am going to rethink this whole deal. Is there any way to alleviate these problems(aside from lp44)? I only plan on running 35"s at the most, am I asking for problems? Anyone know of a comparable deal?

Ryan has spoken, so I guess I'll retract my misleading advice. ;)

Why not just do a lp44? You can pull them out of the wilmington PAP for $175 any day of the week, alloy shafts for $200, a $250 ez-locker, and some gears..

Just get a regular XJ d44, they run like $60-$300 depending where you are. I use to have a time selling them for $150 here.

Back