• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody in favor of ected??

Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure there are poeple out there that have had good expieriences with Auburns Ected switchable locker. I feel pretty confident about them, but I would like to have some opinions from people that have actually used them.

Jeeper

What makes you feel confident?

Right now, there are limited applications, 8.5 and 8.8, I believe. The 8.8 design is weaker than an 8.8 ARB, as there are only two pinion gears.

Here's the description:

Auburn Ected
The Auburn Gear Ected uses a switch operated electromagnetic ring retained under one of the bearing caps inside the differential housing. The ring activates a pilot cone that causes bearing balls to ramp up against the side gear and lock up the differential. The Ected can be switched on or off on the fly. While not engaged the Ected is a clutch driven limited slip differential. The unit comes complete with a wiring harness, rubber grommet for the cover tap, solenoid unit and switch. The Ected is currently available for the 8.5 GM and 8.8 Ford differentials.

ECTED_Cutaway_BIG.gif

Last edited:
.. and the AMC model 20, GM 12 bolt.. Dana 35 units are in stock at most retailers and the Dana 30 units will be delivered in the next couple days. Every locker has its pro and con. Right now the biggest con for the ected is demand, it took me weeks to find a vendor who can fill a group buy order, i have two now and am negotiating price.

I can't tell from that exploded diagram if it uses the clutch packs or actually locks the side gear to the case, though I'm leaning toward the former.

That would suck, but it makes sense since I have heard complaints about not fully locking up.

Another View:

EctedExpView_BIG.gif

Heard something about it using a ramp and ball system being forced to lock with clutches. If that is a case, it will slip....

It can slip, it just becomes a very tight LSD when activated. I was not confident enough in its locking abilities for a rear diff, but that thing would be sweet ass in the front, and waaaaaay cheaper than an ARB or OX.

mine slips, and i have been able to get it to allow one tire to spin while the other is bound even while in the locked position. i am about to send mine back to auburn for them to take a look at and make sure it's not a defect. not my idea of a good locker for anything but small tires.

Im not that thrilled about them...they are really just a glorified and expensive LS. Id spend a little bit more and get a TRUE selectable locker like an ARB or OX.

if you're going to run 38" tires, and go hardcore rock crawling, then maybe the ected will not stand up for the job. That would probably be a task for an ARB. However, I think the ECTED would do ok under more reasonable conditions, such as smaller tires like 31s - 33s and more moderate abuse. and ofcorse things will break from time to time. It sounds to me like Auburn backs everything up pretty well. if I'm not mistaken, if you break you ECTED they will send you a new one or re-build it for you. I am still going to give the ected a try. I will be running a 3.5" RE lift on 31". I think it will do great.

I too have it in my immediate plans, with 7" and 35's. Time will tell how it holds up, but I think it will be a good match with my rear detroit.

I am planning on running a E-locker in my D44 rear, I wish they made one for the D30, but maybe this ected will be the ticket for the front.

How much are they going for? $$$

I am running 3.5RE now with 32's, will be 4.5 with 33 and 4.56's.

about 560 or so, I think it might make a good choice for the front, but I have never run with a clutch type l/s in the front, it's not made to ratchet when you turn like the lockers most people are running, or allow one wheel to freely turn like the detroit truetrac. so it may push just a bit through corners until it is broken in...you should buy one and let us all know how it works out

The idea of having it in front is it will be off (open/ Lim.slip) and will turn easy. It will be locked "on" when need the extra help with hills, obstacles, what-not.

$560 seems good, but I would rather see an e-locker.. I would pay more for it than this ected.

Red97XJ said:
I am planning on running a E-locker in my D44 rear.
If you're talking about the Eaton Elocker I think you're gonna have to wait. I was going to put one in my d44 rear but they're not available yet.

Kyung

Jeeper said:
if you're going to run 38" tires, and go hardcore rock crawling, then maybe the ected will not stand up for the job. That would probably be a task for an ARB. However, I think the ECTED would do ok under more reasonable conditions, such as smaller tires like 31s - 33s and more moderate abuse. and ofcorse things will break from time to time. It sounds to me like Auburn backs everything up pretty well. if I'm not mistaken, if you break you ECTED they will send you a new one or re-build it for you. I am still going to give the ected a try. I will be running a 3.5" RE lift on 31". I think it will do great.

where are the testimonials of people running these? bring on first hand experience not just some mag that has installed one and said they liked it, people that have actually run it long and hard and had sucess.

when i first installed mine i spoke to a few people on pirate 4x4 and they had similar problems (not holding locked) when i first installed mine i had 33's and 4.56 gears and it made violent poping (sliping) onroad when locked. never could really tell on the trail as untill recently always held enough traction to keep both tires spinning maby it's worn maby its a defect but now i can lock it and only get one tire to spin when bound up. this is with under 15k on it. i run new england trails which go from mud to rock and everythign inbetween i'm far from easy on my rig but i can't see this locker holding to the traction the guys out west get with rocks, with the traction of sand paper. if anything auburn should change there add to say adjustable lsd instead of locker. if its a locking differential your looking for look elseware.

I have not checked in awhile, but a few months aga I was finding em listed on sites for under $600 for a Dana 44.

Did they stop making em or are they just behind or what?

Back