• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'85 XJ Problems

Paintchecker

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a junk Cherokee chief for 500 bucks. I changed the spark plugs and wires, put a new battery in it. I also changed the battery cables from the battery to the starter. I had my alternator tested It was still good. And yet for some reason it will not start. Some times it won't click or do anything when i turn the key. Other times it trys to kick over but never will. The one time it did start I drove it about 30 min and then turning into a parking lot it died on the spot. The power steering also went out. Any help or advice on how to get it going would be great.

Ps. If anyboby is running the rattlesnake trail outside of lehi Ut and finds a brown Fossil Wallet let me know its mine. I left it on top of the jeep before the run and yeah it is lost. Probably way out in the middle of gods creation.

crankshaft position sensor
back of block on right and connected to bellhousing
notorious in jeep 4.0s
inexpensive and extremely frustrating to diag
can cause intermittent failure
i.e. works fine for 30 min and then dies
mine did the same crap for a month before i figured it out
easy fix, cheap fix!!!!
as to the no crank issue
the jeeps are well known to have issues with the tranny selection module
i'm certain this is not the factory term, but it is the black module on the pass side of the tranny and on the extruding portion of the selector shaft(what the shifter links to on a auto)
the contacts in these always gum up and stop workin
it is what tells the comp that the tranny is in P and it is safe to engage starter
it can be opened up, sanded smooth, and regreased.
i've done it with long standing success and it is a 30min job
or it can be replaced with much more dinero
these are the most common nostart problems w/ xj 4.0s

Last edited:
4.0's didnt come out till '87....you should be able to take a screwdriver to the starter relay to make it crank over and hopefully start. Do you have the I4 or V6? Youve got to cover the basics, spark, timing, and fuel.

We need more info in order to try and help you out. What engine do you have? Auto or manual tranny? Give us some details.

Kim.

His XJ has a 2.8 V-6, and an auto tranny.

my 86 I4wont crank with my brand new battery EVER! however if I put my old one from my trai lrig in itll crank and crank and crank (although it doesnt start very often, and when it does, it doesnt run right)

If I put the new battery in the trai lrig she fres right u pso its not the battery. I know this isnt an answer, but try a differant battery, its something crazy!

Back