• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

off the shelf shocks

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
ok i did a search and i found little to nothing...

but

what shocks can i use with a 3" bb that i can buy at the local parts store??
thanks

For my 4" lift I used a set of YJ shocks in the front but had to put the bar pin from my old shocks into the YJ ones.

For the rear I cut off the low hanging shock mounts and relocated them up onto the diff tube. This let me use stock XJ shocks.

No sorry I don't have that diff anymore. Basically just grind off your old mounts. Then I used a piece of 4" angle iron cut about 2-3" wide. I welded a bolt to the angle iron for the the shock stud and then weld the angle iron to the diff tube.

Which the bolt or the mount? The first time I welded the mount onto the axle tube I used a friends 100V mig buzz box. It let go on the first run. So then I took it to work and used the Miller250 mig welder. Much better! Stayed on fine for 2+ years and still going. You can also buy premade shock mounts from many offroad shops.

ok...so zj shocks will work in the front and give me 3" and rear anyone i dont wanna go bpe yet so maybe stock rear shocks for now...thansk if anyone can find rear shocks that would be greatly apprcieated

From 2/3 down the page "UPDATE: Use 1986-92 Jeep Comanche Monroe Sensatrac part #37029, which is 14.375" compressed and 23.000" extended. For comparison, stock rear XJ Sensatrac shock part #37027, is 12.750" compressed and 20.000" extended. The rear ZJ Monroe Sensatracs have a sleeve in the bottom and top bushings and no barpin for the top, so you have to press the sleeves out and put in a barpin or BPE in the top bushing to get them to work and the bottom bushing after removing the sleeve is an extremely tight fit installing onto the axle shock mount stud. The 37029 doesn't have the sleeves to press out, which saves a lot of time, and the bottom bushing fits right onto the axle mount just like the stock shock bushing, but you would still need to use a barpin or BPE for the top bushing
."

I picked up a set of Pro comp ES3000 from 4wheel parts for 140 bucks and got the ES2000 stabilizer for free. They have worked great so far, plus they have a 3"-4.5" lift set as well. No need to modify your rig. And the sale is still on right now. Just another option.

i was trying to take the easy way out and not wait for them to get here but i will try to get rears from them and a stabilizer

raypla said:
All you have to do is take 5 min and read the damn rocklizard write up, its all in there!
i did read the rock lizards thread/post thats why i said

mothertrucker said:
...so zj shocks will work in the front and give me 3" and rear anyone i dont wanna go bpe yet so maybe stock rear shocks for now...
i dont want BPE now i just want to find some shock i can buy through work to keep my shocks from being maxed out

"UPDATE: Use 1986-92 Jeep Comanche Monroe Sensatrac part #37029" You just have to reuse your existing barpins. Take old shocks off, press out their barpins, take barpins and press into new shocks, put new shocks on XJ.

Back