• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help!!!

Hammerite_05

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my gas tank to mount it into the bed of my MJ....i this is not the forst time i have pulled the pump and everything. So i place the tank in the bed and the lines are to short.....so i go to the auto store and get some longer ones. i put everything back together and the MJ will not crank! so i double check everything. then i keep on turning the key and nothing is happening.....so i start listening to the fuel pump the i turn the key and noticed it was not running right....then i check the little valve on the fuel bar above the injectors and no pressure was in it...... so i went back to the store and bought a fuel pump and a fuel filter. put them in today.....started turning the motor over a few times the checked the pressure on the valve and there was some. so i let some air out of the valve until it was just fuel comming out. then i kept turing the engine over and still no crank.....so i pulled a few plugs and there was no gas on them like if it was flooded......now i have no pressure on the valve and I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH IT

Would Greatly Appreciate any help

mac

The description is a bit confusing. First, you need to check your fuel pressure to have some firm numbers in order to proceed with diagnosis. Do a search and you will find all the info you need. Assuming your fuel pump is running, low fuel pressure is either the filter, the pump, or a blockage in the line.
BSD

I once bent the fuel line on my '88 XJ while removing the exhaust manifold.
I was going to replace it with a rubber hose, but I was told by the dealership parts dept that the distance would be too long for a rubber hose. The pressure developed required the metal hose.

Since you moved it to the bed of your MJ, one of my thoughts is that you probably replaced the straight metal hoses with rubber ones. There might be a vacuum developing which is pinching off the lines.
To prove this, move the tank back to the original spot and use the oem metal lines. If it works back there, then try to get rubber or stainless lines rated for higher pressure.

i tried that....i moved and put everything back the way it was.....still its like the pump is being held back. i went and swaped the new pump today for another one to make sure i didnt get a bad pump.....but its the same way. is there anyway that i am not getting enough electricity to the pump.

thanx
mac

Hammerite_05 said:
i tried that....i moved and put everything back the way it was.....still its like the pump is being held back. i went and swaped the new pump today for another one to make sure i didnt get a bad pump.....but its the same way. is there anyway that i am not getting enough electricity to the pump.

thanx
mac
unplug the orange wire and put a multimeter to find out.

Just curious. . . . .

Since you have moved the tank to the bed of the MJ, did you also remember to replace the fuel filler cap? If not, it may cause this. The fuel system requires the cap to be in place so it can form the correct vacuum.

Tally_XJ said:
Just curious. . . . .

Since you have moved the tank to the bed of the MJ, did you also remember to replace the fuel filler cap? If not, it may cause this. The fuel system requires the cap to be in place so it can form the correct vacuum.

yeah i did.....but i know what you are talking about..i did that a few months ago and the thing wouldnt crank untill you had them on the tank.

Back