• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help!!!

BattyBlueXJ

NAXJA Member #1270
Did a quick search couldn’t find anything and don’t have time to keep trying to find some info. Im in the of making a rear bumper and I don’t think im a bad welder I can lay some nice beads but once in a while I get a small hole like a 1/8 that has like a black chalky substance after grinding it (slag). I cant seem to fill them I drill them and reweld them but when I grind them the little hole is still there. Ive tried changing the heat and rod. I have 7018 and 7014. There are just a couple of them but they will prob show up when I paint my bumper. Please help I just cant get rid of them and i cant keep working until i figure out what to do. Thanks guys

Try cutting a slight grove about 1/2" ahead of the hole and starting your bead there. This way by the time you reach the hole you've got a clean burning weld. TC

Another thing it sounds like is porosity, thats what happen when the metal is dirty, or hydrogen gets caught in the weld. It can make a good weld look bad and not hold worth a $hit. Just grinde the area and make sure everything is clean. Then reweld. run the 7018. that is the best rod, low hydgron and high tenstile strenght.

Back