• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mom Really Needs help Here

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

This question is'nt about a jeep, its about my mom's 2001 civic but i feel i'm allowed to ask it because i own an XJ and my mom has owned 3 XJ's herself in the past years. Anyway the car has 43,000 miles on it, its a lil honda motor with an auto trans. Problem is when she hits the brakes she here's a thump, not a loud clunk but a more subtle thump, and it only makes this noise once upon the initial pushing down of the brake pedal. She said that it also makes this noise while making very sharp left hand turns, as in pulling into a parking space or a driveway or such at very low speeds. She said when it makes the noise while turning it makes it constantly and not just once as with the brakes but it is the same noise she says coming from the same area (right front wheel area). I looked at it briefly and did'nt see anything out of the ordinary. She needs this vehicle and she really does'nt have the money to take it to honda and if we can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx much,

Eric

The noises when the wheels are turned very sharp sound like CV joints the the front half shafts.

Second opinion that you should look at CV joints

BTW -- This thread belongs on the "Other Tech" forum

whoozey i did'nt want to post at any other site because i am on here every day and the people and very supportive, i needed a fast response, and thats what i got. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. BTW i did think about the CV joint but i kept thinking no way the car is brand new and only has 43k on it, but i guess its an option.

thanx,

eric

eric91xj said:
BTW i did think about the CV joint but i kept thinking no way the car is brand new and only has 43k on it, but i guess its an option.

CV joints shouldn't fail in 43,000 miles, but 43,000 miles is NOT "brand new."

At the same time, 10-month old Grand Cherokee WJs with 14,000 miles on the clock shouldn't drop dead in the middle of a state road less than 3 miles from home ...

Civics are notorious for trashing cv joints especially when there is a tear in the boot. examine the boot carefully.. if you see a tear in it, you can bet that the joint needs to be replaced. Even if it isn't torn, I have to agree with most of the folks here, it is almost certain that the half-shaft needs replacement.

ok, sounds good guys, i'll check that when i get home from work today (got a new job!!!). I really appreiciate the help.

eric

Back