• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator hard line leak

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
On the driver's side end tank on the radiator, the bottom-most hard line that comes out of it was leaking. It was a very slow leak, but it was leaking a clear liquid (seemed like water, but not quite) onto the frame below.....

I just tightened up the nut around where the line connects to the end tank, and the leak stopped.........

What does this line go to?? I couldn't tell, just gave it a quick glance over with a flash light, but it ran under everything towards the passenger side and i couldn't track it.

didn't seem like a tranny fluid line because the fluid was clear with the consistency of water

can anyone tell me what line this is for sure?

i've got a few pics, but they are on a camera in a different city..........have to get them this weekend

after looking at the diagrams in my fsm, it seems that line goes to an external tranny cooler which i was fairly certain i didn't have..........hmmm

The Most Common Metal Line Fitted to the Radiator with a double flare fitting is an Automatic Transmission Cooling Line. I can't think of another purpose, other than Engine Oil Coolers, which are usually flexible lines. It would be extremely extremely rare for this kind of line to be anything else. I'm a Noob to XJ's, but have lots of experience on other cars, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The fact that your diagram shows it running to an auxilary external trans cooler should tell you something?? If its a trans cooler, the lines must begin and end at a the TRANS, right? Usually an auxilary external trans cooler is run thru the radiator first and then external cooler and then back to the trans. This is true of most factory and aftermarket setups.

Have you checked your trans fluid, perhaps there is water in the trans fluid.

BUT, MOST LIKELY If you get the radiator wet, or if it has a leak somewhere else, the fluid will cling to the sides of the radiator and run down toward the bottom, it will collect at the bottom and try drip off. It will usually start to drip first at some sort of surface anomally near the bottom. Like maybe a threaded extension sticking out of the bottom of the radiator, such as the connection for the tranny cooler line.

You may just have found water from the wet radiator dripping off the connection and it was never leaking in the first place.

The first step in finding leaks is too thoroughly clean and dry the area, and then look for the leak as it starts. Most fluids will leak and flow, then collect in a totally different low area to drip off, you can't tell where somewhere is leaking from where its dripping off. You have to clean and dry the entire area and then witness the leak at its beginning to spot the actual leak point.

hmmm, i dried the area up first and then waited for about 10 minutes and rubbed my hand along the bottom of the nut and was a little wet again

so i took the vice grips to the nut (gently) and tightened it and it seemed to have stopped an moisture around that nut or that area

i need to get out there and check it again though

no water in the tranny fluid when i checked it on sunday, but i only checked it with the engine off........if there was water in the fluid would it be obvious on the dipstick??

Fred85 said:
hmmm, i dried the area up first and then waited for about 10 minutes and rubbed my hand along the bottom of the nut and was a little wet again

no water in the tranny fluid when i checked it on sunday, but i only checked it with the engine off........if there was water in the fluid would it be obvious on the dipstick??
Unfortunately, No you probably won't spot water on the dipstick, unless it lots and lots of water. The water is heavier than the oil, so it would rest at the bottom of the pan. If you have a lot of water in the oil, it would be breaking down the oil and forming sludge and acids, the oil should look and smell awful if theres been a lot of water in it for a long a time. The oil will often look milky if water has been mixed into the oil thoroughly. It usually boils out of the oil with the hi temp of operation. But then again, if the line was leaking water, but no oil, that could only happen if there was tons of water in the trans.

Thats why I suspect the water was from another source, just dripping from the trans line. That line is almost definitely a trans cooler line, even if there was water in the trans, there should be trans oil leaking from the line as well.

You dried the area, but the water came back? It didn't run down from some other spot? Is there any other wet spots or water leaks in the motor/radiator area?

WHen asking for help please give details on the vehicle in question.

Your rig have AC? Does it work? Wondering if this 'fluid' leaking out isn't oil from the AC system and you're looking at a fitting on the condenser.

It's unmistakably the external trans cooler line in the fsm, i've got the 2000 fsm for my 2001 but i doubt that makes a difference........

i looked at it a little while ago, just a few traces amounts of the liquid spattered in that same general area

could it just be condensation somehow managing to find its way down there??? i can't think of anything that would form condensation on it in that area of the engine bay

i have AC and it works fine, well to the best of my knowledge.............cold air comes out of the vents

AC does operate when you use the defrost, so even in winter you use your AC. The only AC lines cool enough to condense water on the line are the suction side from the evaporator to the compressor. All the hi-pressure side lines from the compressor to the condenser, the condenser and remaining lines operate at hi temp, no moisture would condense on those pieces. I doubt the AC is making the condensation in that area.

Water trapped somewhere in the area? Did you drive in the rain recently? Got lots of snow and ice up in the grill and outside temps only rose above freezing recently?

Radiator leaking somewhere and its dripping down to that point? What shape is the coolant in? Does your water have a green tint to it?

no rain, no snow in the past few days........i'm in Raleigh, NC so temps are mild

coolant is in good shape, i need to flush the system because i don't know when the last time it was done, but coolant is still green and smooth

this is weird, i think i might just not worry about it........don't even know if it really is anything to worry about anyway. Just kinda makes ya worry when you see liquid on the frame below your radiator.......

Yea, I'd just check it from time to time, check your trans fluid level and make sure its at the proper level as well. If the trans fluid level is not dropping, its not leaking, its that simple.

There lots of places for water from a puddle you drive thru to get trapped and leak out later, it might just be one of those times.

Back