• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear lower quarter panels.

Captain Ron

NAXJA Forum User
What to dooooooo.....

blkxj02.jpg

blkxj01.jpg

blkxj03.jpg

blkxj04.jpg

I've seen all the threads. Anyone got a different approach? Sheetmetal maybe? Keep most of the line establishing plastic?

1. I'm going to continue to run the stock late model flares.
2. Keeping the stock rear bumper too.
3. Keeping as much of the rear bumper cap as possible.

--ron

if you not into cuting and folding the rocker up. what about banging it back into shape and plating it some. not sure how much of the factory plastic you want to keep.

Fiberglass, plywood & 5200 adhesive?

Seriously, I just did the same thing to mine, just not quite as severe. I beat on in until it look "better" spray primed it and slopped some paint on. Its going to get torn up again so dont invest to much in trying to fix until its time sell. Then get out the cut off wheel and MIG welder. Until then, relax and enjoy the battle scars.

John

Yeah, I don't really understand where you are trying to go with this. If you want to keep it stock with the stock bumper and stock end caps, just beat it back till it's close and let the stock end caps cover what isn't just right. Jeff

i used 12 gauge steel from the local hardware store, cut and painted it to match the shape and drilled some holes. Slapped it on there. Its not as thick as the $100 C-rok stuff or Rock Lizard guards, but it's still good protection and nice and soli.d $12 for the steel, $5 for the self-tapping screws and paint. I sanded down the area since it was rusty then painted it with rustoleum. Then I cut the guards and painted those. Just bent it by hand and used a vice. Pretty easy really.

qp2.jpg

qp7.jpg

qp4.jpg

cut1.jpg

done1.jpg

done4.jpg

Chris

I think that MJ that you bought would have had a better home with me:gonnablow

:sad1:
Id say cut it off. If your hitting it, may as well get rid of it.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Yeah, I don't really understand where you are trying to go with this. If you want to keep it stock with the stock bumper and stock end caps, just beat it back till it's close and let the stock end caps cover what isn't just right. Jeff

That's more or less what I've been doing. Problem is, I'm quickly exhausting my supply of end caps. And, it gets harder and harder to beat the sheetmetal back into place enough to get the caps on.

GSequoia said:
No use Ron. I don't think you have the metalworking knowledge to do anything about it.

That's for sure. :D

ruggedjeep said:
Although anything you really bolt on is going to fold after consistent hits. That area in general just sucks...

I agree, that's why I havn't even bothered with plating in that area.

Starboard M said:
I think that MJ that you bought would have had a better home with me:gonnablow

I'll give you 80% of it if you want to come and pick it up. :D

Fullsizexj said:
just cut the back off and go buggy

Starboard M appreciates your sentiment. :D

bj-666 said:
soo what did you end up doing to your rockers??????

I have it worked out. I used round tube. I'll get some pics up shortly.

--ron

seanR said:
I'll post a pic of what I did to mine when I get home.

<HINT> I used a saw-z-all!
It looks like hell, but so does the rest of my truck.

can't look worse than mine currently do ;) the cut & fold method, but i was too lazy to secure the fold :D now i'm just gonna cut them all the way off

DSC08287.JPG

gotta finish my rear bumper too, so I can stop beating up my rear crossmember

picture.JPG

Drivers side

picture.JPG

Pass. side looking down at the floor.

picture.JPG

Pass side. notice how clean the cut is?

picture.JPG

Looking up from where the tire would be if I had axles...
See the T.V.?

Back