• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECTED Questions

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
Have a few questions about the Auburn ECTED. I have read all the prior post that came up with the search and found some good info, but not every thing I would like to know.

Is it avaliable for a dana 30 HP and a XJ 44 or 29 spline 8.25?

Have you enjoyed or dis-liked the unit?

Any pictures of the swicth and it location in an XJ?

Any problems? ( I know that it is not full spool when engaged)

Were have you purchased the unit?

Thank you for reading this post and if you have any ideas or input please let me know.

check auburns site for application info.

I have disliked my unit because it has not been able to fully lock. on road if it is engaged it pops very loud if i'm making a u-turn or other tight turn. on the trail untill recently it never let me down but last run i did notice that one tire was not turning when bound up. i used the correct additive that was supplied with the unit. i have since called auburn and they said that they have had the problem that i described and would be happy to take a look at it if i sent it back. this is in a ford 8.8. if i were to do it over again i would either use an arb (as i have on in my 44 and like it) or one of the other electric lockers (forget the name but it has a very similar mechanism to the ected but instead of pushing the clutch packs together it pushes pins that fully lock the spiders together)

i located the switch next to the rear wiper switch where the power mode switch goes in an automatic. being as it is a simple on-off switch for our application you can basicly mount any type of on-off any ware you like . i forget the numbers (they are on auburns site) but the unit draws relitivly low amperage. they do supply a switch and wiring with the unit.

i purchased my unit from jawsgear.com

feel free to pm me.
Brandon

I have had mine in the 8.8 in back of my TJ for almost two years, with ZERO problems. Well I do have a problem remembering to turn it on! :)

I am locked front abd back and only realize I forgotten to lock the back if the trail gets really technical. The L.S. in this unit combined with the uber flex of my TJ, not to mention the front AUSSIE, makes most obsticals fairly easy.

I remember one time on a very steep shelf I was climbing (About 4', 90 degrees vertical) I got the rear to pop once. But that was right after turning on the unit because I was not able to make it up and realized I had not engaged the rear. I switched it on, realigned myself to the obstical. As my tars searched for traction, the ECTED made that pop. I made it up and over fairly easily.

When I got home I pulled the cover and found NOTHING, so I changed the fluid !

I have engaged it on the street and it locks right up and funtions as a spool, chirping/squealing tars in every corner.

I would put another in my HI-Pinion D30 I'm building for it if they made one!!!
It looks like I'll put the OX super 30 instead!

Good luck,
CW

Last edited:
cwlongshot said:
I have had mine in the 8.8 in back of my TJ for almost two years, with ZERO problems. Well I do have a problem remembering to turn it on! :)

I am locked front abd back and only realize I forgotten to lock the back if the trail gets really technical. The L.S. in this unit combined with the uber flex of my TJ, not to mention the front AUSSIE, makes most obsticals fairly easy.

I remember one time on a very steep shelf I was climbing (About 4', 90 degrees vertical) I got the rear to pop once. But that was right after turning on the unit because I was not able to make it up and realized I had not engaged the rear. I switched it on, realigned myself to the obstical. As my tars searched for traction, the ECTED made that pop. I made it up and over fairly easily.

When I got home I pulled the cover and found NOTHING, so I changed the fluid !

I would put another in my HI-Pinion D30 I'm building for it if they made one!!!
It looks like I'll put the OX super 30 instead!

Good luck,
CW

What tire size are you running i experienced poping with 33's and is still here with my q-78's (35.5).

like you i never had any noticable loss in traction just poping on the street and if i was climbing the right obstical and could actualy hear it over everythign else. untill recently the tires always kept spinning.

have you ever had yours locked on the street while making a tight turn. if you could try it for me and see if it scrubs the tires or pops.

an alternative to the ARB now is the Teraflex T-locker. There is a good writeup on pirate4x4 about it. There are a lot of things about it that improve upon the ARB. If i recall correctly, its made by some company in germany. Anyways, i think its a little cheaper than ARB, a little beefier, and a lot simpler.

NCCherokee said:
an alternative to the ARB now is the Teraflex T-locker. There is a good writeup on pirate4x4 about it. There are a lot of things about it that improve upon the ARB. If i recall correctly, its made by some company in germany. Anyways, i think its a little cheaper than ARB, a little beefier, and a lot simpler.
i read the same review and called teraflex about ther product it's priced slightly higer than arb and has it's pro's and con's over the arb.

I have driven it on the street occasionally. I did so just last week end. I have a bad centering bearing in my Tom Woods shaft. THOUGHT i had a bad ouitput bearing in the SYE......

The rear locks completely and the tars chirp to down right squeal in any kind of a turn. Never a peep of a poping. I have less than 10,000 miles on this setup.

I am currently running BFG 33" MT's

CW

Back