• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj trans problem

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ, sometimes the trans will go into a low gear (when starting from a dead stop or kicking the throttle to go up a hill) and stay there, about 25 mph max. I don't know much about trannies but this doesnt sound good to me, any recommendations??

yeah but it wont upshift. Stays in low. Its a random thing also, doesnt happen all the time.

I changed the fluid late summer, didnt change the filter. This problem started about a week ago when i started driving it more often.

what fluid did you put into it , dextron III I hope........have you looked at all the wiring harnesses to make sure they are plugged in? is the fluid good color and correct amount?

Yes, dextron III, correct level. Is there a harness above the tranny? I cant see up there.

jcnoble said:
I have an 88 XJ, sometimes the trans will go into a low gear (when starting from a dead stop or kicking the throttle to go up a hill) and stay there, about 25 mph max. I don't know much about trannies but this doesnt sound good to me, any recommendations??

Check/replace the TPS (throttle position sensor). Next time it does this, try wiggling the shifter - if that fixes it you need to clean the NSS sensor. A quick web search and you'll find a good writeup. A fluid change might be in order as a sticking solenoid in the tranny can cause this. Another possibility is a bad speed sensor on the tranny output. That's the sensor on the back drivers side next to the xfer case shift linkage, but that's usually an all or nothing and not intermittent.

Back