• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Range Selector Switch?

Jeeppowr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'all,

I got my 1999 XJ back from the body shop after someone attempted to steal it, and trashed the interior. Stupid F'ers... Anyhow, the shop told me that my ECU had a trouble code, and said I need to replace my "Transmission Range Selector Switch." I'm not sure of what this part is, and I called Napa, but they havent' heard of it either. Is this part maybe the Neutral Safety Switch? I did a search on NAXJA and Google, but couldnt find anything. Do they maybe mean the Shift Lever assembly (P, R, D, 3, 1-2)? Anyone got a clue? Thanks a bunch in advance,

the neutral start switch is different than the range sensor. I have 97 that stores codes stating a range sensor circuit malfunction. I have not been able to find the part anywhere!! a junk yard may have it but I have not had any luck, especially without a part number. the closest I got was a whole new USED trans. I dont notice any shifting issues with the one I have so just disconnect your check engine light and have your computer scanned every once in a while at autozone to make sure nothing else is wrong.(Probably not the best advice but my CE light finally burned out so thats what I will do until i can replace it)

Jeeppowr said:
Anyhow, the shop told me that my ECU had a trouble code, and said I need to replace my "Transmission Range Selector Switch." I'm not sure of what this part is...
The Range Selector Switch IS the neutral safety switch (NSS) in your Jeep.
You'll probably be able to clean your out rather than replacing it since your Jeep isn't that old. Here's a nice write up from Mr West. :D

(click the pic)

The nuetral safety switch is about $250! I have the same problem with my '98 XJ and will be pulling it to clean it out. You may have trouble with your backup lights as well.

I hate to be a thread hijacker but is the range selection switch part of the NSS on a 1990 too?

Back