• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing the a/c pully HELP PLEASE!!!!

jeepster3482

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 xj sport 4.0 and i need to remove the pully from the a/c compressor so i can rebuild the bearings and i cant figure out how to get the pully off the pump can anyone give me some ideas, i need to fix this quick its my daily driver
thanks for the help

Probly the same way the PS pump pully comes off, Im thinking. But Im likely wrong. Call your AZone or Advance, they will have the tools you need free rental to do the job. Sounds like you didnt know this before hand, so at this point Ill wish you lots-o-luck!

MyJeepXJ is right, your'e going to need a special puller to remove, as well as re-install your a/c pully. check with your local parts stores as they might rent the tool you need, if not you might have to bite the bullit and break out the check book.

I've repaired two compressors that had squealing bearings and have done so without removing the pulley. You've two options:
1.) Use a large syringe to inject grease through the race cover. A pain in the ass because of the time it takes and your hands will get a bit sore from squeezing the syringe...but it worked great on my A/C.
2.) Gently pry the bearing race cover off and re-pack the bearing with grease. replace the cover a nd gently bend the retaining tabs back to their normal position.

FYI, if you remove the nut that holds the pulley onto the shaft and attempt to remove the pulley you will loose the refrigerant charge....assuming you haven't had it recovered properly.

to access the race on the pulley/clutch does the pulley have to come off or can it be accessed with it on. any info would be great as it will save me tons of $$$$$. thanks

www.ackits.com
They have a forum over there and lots of guys in the auto A/C business over there daily. They also sell parts but are not pushy to DIY'ers. I redid my whole system with the advise over there. Good luck

Back