• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring reversal

Mudskipper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this is a stupid question. Is it possible to mount leaf springs backwards to gain more wheel base? I have RockKrawlers with 4.5" of lift and they measure from the back of the front eyelet to center of spring plate 22" and the rear measures 26".

Its possible and many have done it, though I have had a hard time finding pics of the swap.

The front spring eye is different than the rear, you will have to make a new rear shackle that is wide enough to fit the eye in. And of course shock mounts, brake lines, rear driveshaft will have to be changed and watch to make sure the diff clears the gas tank.

I will be doing this with mine but I plan on dropping the shackle hanger about 4" and using some boomerang shackles. I'm running 38" SX's and they stuff bad into the front of the rear wheelwell. I'm putting it off because I don't want to have to redo the driveshaft right now. I'm finishing up the hydro assist....one thing at a time.

The diameter of the front and rear bushings is different, not the width. You will need to comp the rear of course, but the driveshaft, brakelines, shocks etc. were already mentioned. A buddy of my flipped his springs, and I will try to dig up some pictures, but it's hard to tell the springs are flipped since all the reference points were cut off (body completely cut off to the floor, and fully caged up). You WILL need to fab up a traction bar!

GottaBeJeep said:
The diameter of the front and rear bushings is different, not the width. You will need to comp the rear of course, but the driveshaft, brakelines, shocks etc. were already mentioned. A buddy of my flipped his springs, and I will try to dig up some pictures, but it's hard to tell the springs are flipped since all the reference points were cut off (body completely cut off to the floor, and fully caged up). You WILL need to fab up a traction bar!

Well I stand corrected. That will make my swap that much easier.

Back