• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping Cherokee Sport 4x2 to 4x4 - possible?

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible - or - insane - to swap the front axle assembly to 4x4? I found a VERY clean rust free 2 wheel drive Cherokee Sport. Any information?? - or point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Is it possible - or - insane - to swap the front axle assembly to 4x4? I found a VERY clean rust free 2 wheel drive Cherokee Sport. Any information?? - or point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Look for the thread with Links to Downloadable XJ Parts Catalogs. You can go thru the parts catalog and get an idea what has to be changed out to complete the job.

The only practical way to do the job is too find a Junkyard Donor Car that you can pull all the parts from. Pick-a-Part Junkyards are more and more rare today, with most Junkyards becoming part of a network, that only supplies the pulled parts over the counter.

To purchase the parts individually would easily exceed the cost of just getting another vehicle equipped the way you want it.

I'm a Noob to XJ's and 4X4, but pretty knowledgeable on other cars, mostly muscle cars, cheap sporty FWD and Mini-vans (because thats what I've owned before), so take this with a grain of salt. BUT, I would imagine at the least you would need:

*Front Axle, same ratio and configuration as the rear axle.
*Transmission, Transfer Case & Mounts (even if the same transmission comes with the 4X2 and 4X4 configuration, the output shaft is different, so a 4X4 version of the trans must be swapped in).
*Drive Shafts, Front and Rear; theres usually a different driveshaft for the transfer take output.
*The Lever to activate the Transfer Case and all its related hardware.
*Perhaps a new ECM, they may be the same for 4X2 and 4X4, wouldn't be surprised if they are different.
*The 4X4 monitoring Panel and any wiring, ecm and hardware that goes with that.

What it comes down too; you'll probaby have to replace the entire drivetrain with the exception Engine, Rear Axle and maybe the wire harness, plus add a lot of additional hardware.

Last edited:
it's easy provided you got the parts:
tranny + transfer case (you want a matching pair to make it easier, and you can't reuse your 2wd tranny)
tcase shifter linkage
front axle and both driveshafts
Oh yeah: ECM is same and you don't really need any other wiring as I think you'll know when your tcase is in 4wd :D

I believe that covers the most important parts.

when i did the swap on mine, i had a donor car. axle went from an 89-91, for the wiring, all you need is a couple bulbs for that panel

your probably going to want to find a 91 and up 4x4 one to part out, the Renix era XJs used vaccum actuated front axel (complete with a vaccum motor and the works) and it probably won't be fun to plumb the vaccum lines from the front axel to the transfer case. Also, I don't know if this is correct but I think it is possible to reuse a 2 wheel drive trans (at least I think the AW4 is set up this way) I think the 2wd AW4 has an end that bolts on to it to mate it up to the drive shaft. the 4x4 version does no thave this end, it just mates directly to the transfer case. And I'm not sure about this either, but isn't the transfer case in the automatic version lubed by the ATF fluid. I might be way off here, but I can remember reading somthing in the user's manual about this.

Thanks - for the info! Think I'll give it a try. I've restored a 1961 Volvo and did major updating on a 1955 Chevy Shoebox (Front susp, V-8 etc). Sounds like the donor is the only way to go. Lots of rusted out but good running units here in the rust belt. This 95 Sport I found was a pull behind for a older couple's RV. Lots of miles but hardly driven. And the body is absolutely emaculate. Thanks again for the help - I'll let you know what happens

the_bandit87 said:
your probably going to want to find a 91 and up 4x4 one to part out, the Renix era XJs used vaccum actuated front axel (complete with a vaccum motor and the works) and it probably won't be fun to plumb the vaccum lines from the front axel to the transfer case. Also, I don't know if this is correct but I think it is possible to reuse a 2 wheel drive trans (at least I think the AW4 is set up this way) I think the 2wd AW4 has an end that bolts on to it to mate it up to the drive shaft. the 4x4 version does no thave this end, it just mates directly to the transfer case. And I'm not sure about this either, but isn't the transfer case in the automatic version lubed by the ATF fluid. I might be way off here, but I can remember reading somthing in the user's manual about this.

You're pretty much wrong completely. :D

Get a 4x4 parts rig and do a lift at the same time (less painful than doing it twice!) I've done 3 Comanches and 4 Cherokees so far. Not too hard if you go with the right stuff. 4 cyl rigs make good swaps due to better gearing if you plan to lift. The vacuum stuff can be bypassed several ways on the front axle. The 2wd trans is wanted by some AMC'ers for their cars. (except Peugeot BA 10/5. I can't seem to find anyone who wants mine with less than 30,000 miles since it was rebuilt)

hey I thought I got the vaccum driven 4x4 part right too, I'm pretty sure the post 91 ones don't use the vaccum disconnect on the front axel.

Last edited:
the_bandit87 said:
hey I thought I got the vaccum driven 4x4 part right too, I'm pretty sure the post 91 ones don't use the vaccum disconnect on the front axel.

Yeah, I was just messin with you. You have the right idea. For example, the T-case is lubed with ATF, but its completely separate from the transmission (virtually all chain driven cases are, whether behind an auto or manual). So you're half right there. And if you swap in a vacuum disco axle its easy to keep it locked to avoid having to retrofit the plumbing. So thats pretty much a non-issue

Keep working on it and you'll have it all down pat before long my mang :thumbup:

Kejtar said:
Oh yeah: ECM is same and you don't really need any other wiring as I think you'll know when your tcase is in 4wd :D
I think you need to swap ECM when you swap tranny's from Manual to Automatic.

Most vehicles (Jeep as well as all the others) have Torque Converter Lock Up that is controlled by the ECM.

So, swapping in 4WD, ECM stays the same.

Swapping to an automatic from a manual, you need an Automatic Tranny ECM, to control the Torque Converter Lock-Up.

If the Torque Converter does NOT lock-up, tranny temps will soar and cook the tranny. As well, its a nice feature that improves mileage and cruising ability on the vehicle.

Yep, if you take out a manual and replace it with an auto you will need the auto ECM AND the TCM. The TCM is a small box located behind the dash, passenger side, close to the cut out under the glove box. Or at least it is on my ’91. It controls the shifting for the tranny, but you may be able to get one of these and by pass the whole thing: http://www.awshifting.com/1-0.htm

about the vacuum disconnect front axle.
the 242 t-cases didnt have vacuum disconnect front axles if you found a 242... not likely though, pretty rare.

Rick Anderson said:
I think you need to swap ECM when you swap tranny's from Manual to Automatic.
True
Most vehicles (Jeep as well as all the others) have Torque Converter Lock Up that is controlled by the ECM.
Nope, the ECM doesn't controll the aw4, the TCM does, but the ECM expects some sort of signaling from teh TCM that's why the need for a specific ECM when TCM is is present.

Swapping to an automatic from a manual, you need an Automatic Tranny ECM, to control the Torque Converter Lock-Up.
You're not making sense here, read the above.

To be honest with you i have done the conversion on my 94 cherokee from 2wd to 4wd. And from real experience i can tell you that it went really well and wasnt that hard, just very time consuming.

My jeep xj is my DD and i did this in sections so i can keep it drivable for the most time. The first thing i did was remove the front axle and exchange it for the front d30 4x4 axle, this in itself didnt take long but i decided to change ball joints and hubs along the process-- the whole thing took a day and half or a good weekend. The great thing is you can drive with the 4wd axle in there.

The second section of work will require another good weekend. Remove crossmember and drop old tranny. Put in replacement and bolt in Tcase,also bolt in 4wd linkgage brackets .Wire it using the new wireing harness , put in the d/shafts and the mechanics are almost done.

The next part requiring a few hours would be to remove the cluster, insert the bulb for the 4wd light and remove center console and put in shifter, silicone it and attatch linkage.

All in all it works like stock and was a nice experience for me and my jeep. For the parts i purchased a used 93 cherokee with motor issues for 560$ complete, took what i needed and sold the rest.

be smart think ahead and it can be done..

pete

Kejtar said:
True

Nope, the ECM doesn't controll the aw4, the TCM does, but the ECM expects some sort of signaling from teh TCM that's why the need for a specific ECM when TCM is is present.

You're not making sense here, read the above.
I agree, the AW4 has its own Trans Control Computer, so your making perfect sense, for the AW4. Which is the overwhelming majority of Auto Trans for Jeeps.

BUT, and I'm showing my bias here because I'm considering a swap from the AX-5 to a 30RH/A904 (I've got the 2.5L, '95 XJ), the 30RH is a purely hydrualic trans, except for the Torque Converter Lock-Up, which is controlled by the Engine Computer, ECM. I believe that is true for the 30RH, correct me if I'm wrong.

You make a very important point, because what I said is wrong for 95% of the Jeeps out there, its only the few that use a 30RH/A904 that I would have been correct.

Back