• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

audio section? - help-

88'XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have 88'xj...and the factory speakers are shot (5 1/4" all the way around) and it has a am/fm deck (my friends is giving me a clarion cd player for free) and my father has some older infinity kappa speakers out of his f-150.

so...is there enough room to make 5x8's and 6 1/2's work?

thanks

if you make speaker rings, you can fit big speakers. bigger speakers are usually deeper, which may interfere with the window inside the door.
infinitykickpannels7yk.jpg

those are qlogic kick pannels, but i posted this pic so you can see the speaker in the door is bumped out a little.
popouts9yf.jpg

a guy at saint francis university in loretto PA has a 1998 XJ with 6x9s in the front doors. just used a sawzall and some spacers me made out of MDF with a jigsaw.

I run 6x9 with crank windows. It hits a little but not to much. I just cut holes but it's a trail rig so i don't about looks
213Dsc00020-med.jpg

If you've got 6 1/2's and 5x8's I'd put the 6's in the doors and the 5x8's in the openings in the rear hatch. Shouldn't be too hard to fit either with a little trimming. I know I've seen plenty of guys fit 6x9's in the rear hatch openings, so 5x8's should be even easier.

Back