• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Seats

ajeeperwannabe

NAXJA Member #1367
my father-in-law has an '88 XJ and the driver seat cushion is wore on one side. he's asking can he swap the driver / passenger seat? i know the adjuster nobs will be in towards the console if he does but other than that any more problems with doing this?

thanks

you can swap the seat cushion from each side. the seat frame is different. remove both seats and turn them over. you will see the screws that hold the cushion to the frame.

Cruise some boneyards and find him a better set....on the other hand I took my 98 in a few years ago to a local auto upholstery shop where they stripped the cover off, repaired and reinforced some broken and weak factory welds, put NEW and better padding on then reassembled. Charged me $50...cash. That seat 5 years later is still more comfortable than the passenger seat and thats hardly ever been used..

I did exactly what you are talking about with my 87.
I had been to many junkyards over the years looking for a good drivers seat in matching fabric to replace my shredded drivers seat. After years of searching I finally found an 88 XJ with the matching fabric in excellent condition but the drivers seat was already gone. I grabbed the perfect passenger seat and unbolted it from the non-powered base and bolted it up to my drivers side power base. Other than the manual recline level on the inboard side everything matches up and works perfectly.

Back