• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why am I smelling gas?

KellyS.

NAXJA Member #1370
I have an '89 XJ Limited with the 4.0-auto. For some reason, I can smell gas really strong inside the Jeep. I recently changed the cps (last week), that is the only change I have done lately.The gas tank is only half-full and I haven't added any since before the cps was changed. Any ideas?

Thanks,
KellyS.

Check the fuel rail and injectors VERY carefully to make sure you don't have a leak...

The phrase,"Follow the money,"

I had a fuel leak after I replaced all the injectors. It was the hose at the fuel filter. Check everything.

Start with the fuel rail - it's a common RENIX problem. Change the fuel injectors, if required, and change the o-rings at both QD connectors.

If there's a leak at an injector, check carefully - especially if the injectors are still original. They can be replaced with Ford or Chevvy 5.0 units, rated for about 19#/hour. RENIX injectors (the ones with the metal/plastic crimp joint halfway up) are known for leaking after about 150Kmiles.

Those little QD fittings at each end of the fuel rail are just known for leaking - I don't know why they're used. One project I've got in mind is redesigning the fuel rail to accept either -AN or -JIC fittings - lacking o-rings and sealing metal-on-metal. I've just got some other things that need doing first...

5-90

dizzymac said:
.....and to think they wasted time cloning a friggin sheep...we should be cloning 5-90...lol

Outstanding - I'll take three! Maybe then I'll be caught up with a couple years ago...

Of course, we'll also have to work on a way to copy/transfer minds as well - what good to me is a blank copy?

5-90

Start at the tank,and trace the fuel lines all the way to the engine compartment...
Check:
The quick connect where the line goes into the back of the fuel rail
ALL the injectors
The quick connect at the Fuel Pressure Regulator
Leaking fuel+exhaust manifold=NOT GOOD

If it all of a sudden started after you did the cps I'l look at the back of the fuel rail. Did you do the CPS from the top or bottom, If you did it from the top you might have gotten or damaged the input line to the fuel rail.

Also, gas caps do go bad...

Needs fixed though, gas+hot engine = bad..

5-90 said:
Start with the fuel rail - it's a common RENIX problem. Change the fuel injectors, if required, and change the o-rings at both QD connectors.

If there's a leak at an injector, check carefully - especially if the injectors are still original. They can be replaced with Ford or Chevvy 5.0 units, rated for about 19#/hour. RENIX injectors (the ones with the metal/plastic crimp joint halfway up) are known for leaking after about 150Kmiles.

Those little QD fittings at each end of the fuel rail are just known for leaking - I don't know why they're used. One project I've got in mind is redesigning the fuel rail to accept either -AN or -JIC fittings - lacking o-rings and sealing metal-on-metal. I've just got some other things that need doing first...

5-90

I've always wondered WHY designers can't use standard fittings when they design something, is it ego as in "I want to do a completely new design with totally new fittings no one else uses so I have it to my credit". All I got to say is thank god theres only one way to design threaded screws...the head variety between slotted, phillips, torx, etc is bad enough...

lanky laredo said:
5-90 mentioned using 5.0 ford injectors. does anyone have an application for this, or should all of your 5.0L ford injectors be the same?

I bought a set of 8 Ford 19# injectors off eBay for $50 (shipped). They were pulls from a late model Mustang where the owner upgraded. Many publish the OEM part number in their descriptions so you can easily locate Bosch ones (if you prefer).

Mine came with the orginal o-rings and I reused them. However, I did split one of the o-rings on the fuel supply QD. I managed to find a replacement o-ring at a local auto parts store, rather than buy the entire kit from Jeep.

My old injectors had a lot of buildup around nozzles and a bit inside the bore in the manifold. I used a bottle brush to clean the holes out. Other than that, and the fuel leak, it was a pretty easy job.

The difference will depend on teh state of your old injetors. Most notice a slight increase in mileage and power due to the spray pattern.

RichP said:
I've always wondered WHY designers can't use standard fittings when they design something, is it ego as in "I want to do a completely new design with totally new fittings no one else uses so I have it to my credit". All I got to say is thank god theres only one way to design threaded screws...the head variety between slotted, phillips, torx, etc is bad enough...

Erm, that is a fairly standard fitting - leave it to Ford to come up with something that leaks, tho. The QD with the two o-rings and the Nylon ears - and the "garter spring" fitting are both Ford designs. The "garter spring" is mildly better than the other - but not by much.

However, we've got perfectly serviceable -AN and -JIC fittings that have been around for the last 60 years or so, and I don't see a lot of reason why they can't be used more - they work. I don't mind doing something compleatly new, but there's no reason that we can't use proven parts to do it...

5-90

5-90 said:
What new sig line? I don't see anything, and I've got "display sig lines" (or whatever) enabled...

5-90
I believe he was talking about quoting the clone 5-90s line in your sig.

Back