• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What-- so I got spilting the power?

Meeks

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, obviously newb question here. But, I got a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I was wondering which tranfercase I have.. because my friend has already bought a slipyoke eliminator for his 1995 Jeep YJ. He has sold it, but still has the slipyoke kit, and I would like to buy it off him.

I just was wondering if I have the same transfercase.. and if I do, which is awesome, which driveshaft would you recommend buying along with it? How much should I expect to spend? Thanks guys.. I tried the search, but it just doesn't seem to give me the results I can get from a personal thread.

So save the flames and, the whole.. OMG.. here is a link to the search option. In advance.. ;) Thanks from Me.

You eather have a NP231, or NP242. The easiest way to tell them apart is eather to look on the little tag on the back side of the T/C, or on the shift bezel. The shift bezel for the 231 will have 2H-4H-N-4L. The 242 will be 2H-4H part time-4H full time-N-4L. The 242 (full time) T/C has the option of running 4x4 on dry pavement hence full time. The 231 does not, and certain damage will occur if you try to. As far as the SYE kit it all depends on which one he has. If it is the heavy duty one that replaces the output shaft then it will fit your 231 (if that's the T/C you have in your XJ). If it's just a H&T (hack and tap) then it may not. IIRC you can use a pre 96 H&T kit on a 96+, but not the other way around. As far as I know the only difference between the two is the seals that is included with the pre 96 kit.

pre 96 H&T
RE1801.jpg

96+ H&T
RE1807.jpg

Heavy Duty Kit

RE1811.jpg

Back