• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel spacers or new wheels?

flag2442

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up 5 new 33x12.50 mastercraft coursers mounted on 5x8 canyons with 5.5bs for what seemed cheap. Ive read several threads about wheel spacers but i still cannot decide. Ive seen several posted on e-bay that are reasonable. If they need to be spidertrax id just buy new wheels. So my question is spacers with the canyons or new steel wheels?

I really like the canyons so if spacers are reliable that is the way i would like to go.

thx 2442

i've heard bad things about using wheel spacers. they can break. i've never seen an aftermarket wheel that sticks out more break off of a hub.
for what the wheel spacers cost, you could probably buy cheap black steel wheels with an offset to suit your needs.
i've never personally used wheel spacers, so i can't really comment on this one, but i just did anyway :)

I've seen the aluminum ones break. Advised the kid not to use them. He did. he followed us on "easy" trails. Bounced, broke, wheel came off. Ruined brake drum. End of the day for him.

chris

Good wheel spacers like the Spidertrax(6061-T6 aluminum) will be fine. I've been running mine for years and know many others without a single problem.
I'd bet most of the failures are the generic autoparts store cheapos.

He most likely had some real d@mn cheap ones. I'm just limited in my experience with them. I'm sure others will chime in. Better to get a lot more testimonials that just from one or two.

chris

for the cost of good wheel spacers you can just about get new crager soft 8's from jegs. the soft 8's have several bs options that will allow you to fit those tires.

i had "the good" spacers, i checked them all the time, but one still came loose, know what happends next?........you lose the whole wheel, all i can say it.....hang on!!

oh yeah....GET NEW RIMS!

I run spidertrax up front and an off brand in the rear. I haven't had any problems with 3000k miles so far. I like the look of stock wheels, but with the back spacing wrong, it rubbed alot. So if fixed my problem and I got to keep my wheels.

Back