• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken bolts on upper shock mount

PEAFMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 cherokee 4 dr and a 2 inch rubicon express bb. I was able to complete the lift on the front of my jeep but I broke 3 out of the 4 bolts on the upper shock mounts in the rear. the tips of the bolts broke off in such a way that now it is flush w/ the frame of the car. I've tried to weld nuts onto the ends of the bolts and then turn them out but they keep breaking. I'm wondering what should I do to get them out? Is it possible to weld nuts to the frame and just mount my shocks to them? I'm riding around w/ out rear shocks and I don't want to hurt my car please help me.

I had a simalir problem with a friends rig we lifted 3". To solve it we welded a new mount up. The mount was a piece that we removed from the rear sway bar assembly. It sat nicely over where the shock originally bolted up. Welding it overhead was fun! Then the shock bolts up minus the barpin with a regular bolt.
Cheap bar pin eliminator!

Use an air chiesel & pop the weld nuts out. Then you can insert a bolt through the top & put the nut on bottom. JIM.

I just went the route of cutting a hole in the floor of the cargo area with my Dremmel and removed the nuts that were tacked. Then I replaced the nuts/bolts. All I had to do then was patch the floor. I had intended to remove the carpet anyway and check all the areas of the floor for rust damage and then bedline it. So...I made a makeshift patch from a piece of aluminum sheet and used self-tapping screws. I applied silicone to seal up the area. It's been over a year now and I still haven't gotten around to removing the carpet and patching the floor.

Back