• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pigeon River gorge, late Aug

Essayons

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone up for some wheeling and fishing in the Pigeon River Gorge sometime in Late Aug? Lots of great trails there that most folks are not aware of, and some great fishing as well.

On your maps just look at I-40 the last 17 miles in NC on the TN line, the trails run on both sides, with several turning directly off the interstate...no exit, just turn off the shoulder onto the trail.

I just shot you an email right after I posted this here, I am in Clyde.

I figured Hurricane Creek and whatever is open off of it, some of the trails off the trail that runs from the salt pit up to the abondoned mine and Shelton laurel, and some fishing off the trail that runs a short distance up the river off 12 mile.

Maybe some others too, there are some that run off of the one that runs between the salt pit and the entarnce to walters dam that I haven't explored yet.

Sorry, but I didnt get the email.
Its not legal to wander off the trail in Hurricane Creek
thus being just a right of way through the government but is a good moderate trail about 5 miles long.
The road across from the salt bin is Wilkins Creek
I think it leads to lower Fines Creek/Panther Creek area near exit 15 and I think its pretty easy road.
Dont know much about 12 mile except it leads into Tenn.
Theres also a road that leads to Tenn on the Harmen Den side
called the gulf I dont know how to get to it but I have an idea
from what other people have said.
I would be very interested in the ride though.
Its good to know that theres someone close to trail ride with.

I will have to wait on new springs before I can trail ride again
though.I have them ordered but it takes time to build them.
I would like to ride along if you go before I get the springs.
Just let me know.

(ps) I just sent you a PM.

Last edited:
The salt pit road splits 3 ways, one runs up towards Shelton Laurel past an abandoned mine and eventually out into Fines Creek (never gone all the way through but it does on the map and when you get way back you run into houses that peopel get too off Fines Creek. It has some other roads that run off that I have yet to explore. Wilkins Creek runs way up that cove, then another road runs between the salt pit and the entrance to Walters Dam, I drove it last week and it has several cabins on it as well as some side roads I have yet to explore.

I haven't gone all the way through 12 mile in a while, but what roads are closed and what are open changes constantly up there, sometimes some good trails are open. The one that runs off and up the river is under a mile, but goes to a nice campsite and has some challenging spots.

Email me at [email protected] remove the nospam

Back