• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight 5" Lights

I've been contemplating buying these same lights and putting some sylvania silverstar bulbs in then. The bulbs are 3 times as much as the lights but I have them in my headlights and they are very good. Like anything else from Harbor freight, they are cheaply built but for 10 bucks..............

I agree...i thought the same thing....but i wasn't trying to get a whole lot of money in it...but if i didn't think they put out enough i could upgrade later...other reason they appeal to me is they look very much like daylights...which i have a pair for the front...they are black but i figure i could just rough 'em up and paint them

I use them on my MJ for back up lights. They are alright for the money. Work good enough for back up light in the rear for me. Just my .02 worth

I have my mine aimed slightly outward on my bumper thumper. They add some much-needed light to the sides of the headlights, but they definitely aren't high-quality driving lights. Keep that in mind, and you'll feel just fine about the price/performance.

I appriciate all the advice....I definately think i'm going to get them....i'm looking to put 'em on the roof....i guess they'll work until i can afford 4 daylighters....i have 2 of the 150w for the front so i should be alright for now ;)

Hey Shmity,

Before you put lights on the roof, consider that the lights will put a blinding glare on your hood and possibly your dusty windshield. I had a set on the roof of an old bright orange 79 Cherokee Chief 2 door. I won't do that again. Keep those lights in front of the hood. I understand that overhead lights are illegal in some states. I read recently that the Liberty with the overhead lighting package was not offered in VA. Check your local restrictions. I think there is also a limit to how many lights can be forward mounted on a vehicle that is not a government recognized emergency vehicle.

Tom in KY, they do look cool on top though.

i had two of those on my roof, and two 4 or 3" lights as well. they were very bright, especially for the 12$ i paid for them. they work fine on the roof, you just have to play with them a bit to find the spot where they dont reflect off the hood.

i have 5 on the front bumper. they work good enough so i can see the dunes in front of me when we go out at night. i don't recomend lights on the roof it was just to much glare at least for me.

I never thought about the glare off the hood....thats a good point....though the only time i'm going to use them is off-road...i know in my state (Ohio) you can have anu amount...you just can't have them on unless they are legal driving lights...maybe i'll just wait to put 2 pairs of daylighters up there...i know those are much more direct and probably wouldn't glare much if at all...actually anybody thats had daylighters on the roof let me know if there is much glare with these also....thanks

Shmity

Lights on the roof = suxor. Will have so much glare off the hood, etc... you will hate it. In front of the grille will be your best bet IMHO...

Id go for it, $30 for 2 aint bad! At least its a metal housing! :)

If you put them on the roof, you just move them back a little so the hood is in shadow. This should only be done for pencil beams for long distance. I you use a flood and move them back to keep it off the hood, it will also keep the light off the ground.

I think i may just wait to get all daylighters and make sure they are back far enough and low (close to the roof) so the don't light up the hood at all....but i know if i end up going in there i'll buy 'em

Check with you local industrial/aviation shops. I picked up a set of small aircraft (like Cessna 150 sized) landing lights in rubber housings for $10 a piece. I also picked up a set of industrial/farm equipment flood lights in rubber housings for $12 a piece. I have no idea what kind of wattage they are, but the beat the heck out of my 90/110 driving lights (yes, I know that’s more than the legal limit :laugh3: ). I have all four mounted on my roof, about a foot back from the front of the cab. The glare on the hood is not bad, but hood is not pristine and shiny by any stretch of the imagination. BTW they are sealed beam bulbs and the price is the same for bulb in a housing or just a plain bulb.

those don't sound too bad at all....how direct are those beams?..and have you used them off road...like in the woods?....or how far do the beas project...those definately sound like a good way to go....maybe i'll just get a set of harbor's and a set of industrials that are the same price and compare them...that doesn't sound like a bad idea...i think i might do that this weekend...i've got some extra cash laying around to play with...find the best cheap lights...if anybody has any other suggestions of ones to try let me know and i'll look into 'em

Shmity

The aircraft landing lights are a spot beam type and they project quite a ways out (100 yards maybe?). Keep in mind they were designed for small aircraft to land on unlit / uncontrolled fields. The tractor lights are a flood beam, like normally used on farm equipment. They work like a champ in the woods, just make sure you are in the lead. People get a little perturbed when you light up the inside of their vehicle. :laugh3: Their only draw backs are that they get hot while sitting still and they use a ton of electricity. I can watch my alt gauge drop as soon as I turn them on. Not a big deal, just make sure you keep moving and try to rev the engine up a little. DO NOT turn them on with the engine not running.

Back