• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

urgent: will this dana 44 work??!!??!!

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
I found a good deal on a dana 44 but its sort of offset. Its about 22" from brake plate to center of pinion on pass side. and about 30" from brake plat to center of pinion on driver side. Looks like a good axle but im not sure if ill have driveline problems then???any help? ive got a chance to get this thing today. THANKS!

ive got 4:56's in the front and ive allready got some d44 4:56's to put in a rear and weld up. so id like to find a 44 to work rather than the whole 8.8 option.

Well, 5 on 5.5" excludes the XJ Cherokee. Off the top of my head it sounds too narrow to be a fullsize SJ Cherokee too. From what I'm reading, you say it's only 52" WMS? XJs are 61.25" WMS...

yep, thats about right. its about an inch or 2 narrower than my d35. but im concerned that about 8 inches of offset will not work properly. which 44 did you use?

Jimminyc said:
i also only measured from brake backing plate to backing plate. that may not be the normal way to measure the axle

no you need to measure WMS TO WMS (wheel mounting system) or where the wheel attaches too. Is this thing still in the older cherokee? or are you taking someoens workd for it? it soundsl like and ol J10/waggy axle but 5 on 5.5 is not normal...they are 6 on 5.5

no, this axle is allready out. and im not sure what its from. he's just said it came from a cherokee. but obviously not a newer one if at all with the 5 on 5.5. so any opinions about running that kind of offset??

Jimminyc said:
no, this axle is allready out. and im not sure what its from. he's just said it came from a cherokee. but obviously not a newer one if at all with the 5 on 5.5. so any opinions about running that kind of offset??

offset to which side?

only a few old waggy style cherokee chiefs came with wide track off set dana 44's, if you can get it for free it would work but the offset is not the best application.....I would not pay for it unless it already was geared to 4:56. its not worth much, unless you where putting it underr a suzuki. also the 5 x 5.5 haas me guessing it might be a converted axle for a quadratrac CJ

offset to which side?

wold be passengers side Im betting

xjnation said:
only a few old waggy style cherokee chiefs came with wide track off set dana 44's, if you can get it for free it would work but the offset is not the best application.....I would not pay for it unless it already was geared to 4:56. its not worth much, unless you where putting it underr a suzuki. also the 5 x 5.5 haas me guessing it might be a converted axle for a quadratrac CJ

It would be useful to someone wanting to put a dana18 under their rig...

Ford also ran offset rear 44's in the f-150's - i believe thier 2wd's were, but that offest isnt 8", its like 4...

also keep in mind that the XJ drivetrain is offset 5/8" to the passenger side...

Back