• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 inch lift info

hittinghard

NAXJA Forum User
so i was thinking about putting a 4.5 inch lift in a XJ (i have a 93 with 3 inch lift but selling it) in what year? i'm not sure yet.
but what type of additional work do you have to do for a 4.5inch lift???? i only want to run 31's ( so i don't have to change gears and axles). and i don't really want to buy a SYE ,is it a MUST on a 4.5 or no? i don't do hard core wheeling just mostley fishing holes and camping.( i like the look of the 4.5 other then the 3) so any input that you guys might have would be great!
thanks!

SYEs aren't just about the wheeling; you'll find pretty quickly that the vibes can be pretty severe just driving down to the trail... In your 93 (and all 87-95 NP231s) you'll also seal up the rear output so you can remove the driveshaft if needed without losing all the fluid.

4.5" is pretty jarring as well; the control arms are running at a pretty steep angle so every bump you hit gets transferred up the arms to the frame. Drop Brackets or long arms will help immensely in that regard.

Regearing isn't totally necessary with the 31s, but you may find that 4.10s will help get you out of the mud at the fishing hole a little better. Of course, you can put 32s on that size lift but a regear to 4.56 is a very good choice in that case.

Are you auto or stick? When I was at 4.5" and a manual tranny I had longer shackles and shims to correct my pinion angle and did not need a SYE. When I converted to an auto tranny I ended up needing a 3/4" t-case drop as the auto uses a shorter driveshaft so it working at more of an angle.

Each rig has its own quirks. I just did a 3.5 "lift on a '96 XJ(manual) and it needed a t-case drop. We ddin't try adjusting the pinion angle though.

i had bought the rustys 3 inch with the full leaf pack and i netted alot more than 3 inches in the rear. i did not have the t case drop or a longer shackle at the time. i have the manual and i had no vibrations. but thats just me

well this is for when i buy a new jeep (the jeep i have now is a 93 with a 3inch rough country lift and no vibes or saging whats so ever, so i don't have a sye or tcase drop) i want to get a 5 spd this time just cuz it will be not as boring to drive cuz it will be more DD then offroading.
but 4.5 i don't know about now i starting to think about the RE 3.5inch with full leaf packs this time. with 31's.

so now what do you think or have to say about that lift with a 95 96 jeep xj 5spd??????

I have had Rustys 4.5 inch lift on my 00 jeep for a little over a month and the vibes arent bad. But i am planning on getting a sye and drive shaft as soon as I save up enough money...but i also need to pick up some tow hoosk first.

Back