• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME vs. RE vs. Skyjacker

japril

NAXJA Forum User
My vehicle:
1998 stock engine and drivetrain
2" bb with Procomp 9000 shocks that I will REPLACE with the new suspension
30 X 9.5 mud terrain that I will be keeping
some other stuff....

I do moderate off-roading, but don't want to be left behind if the trail gets difficult. And it is my daily driver. I want it to be somewhat comfortable, but I don't want to worry if I do some high speed stuff ( I hang out with some Toyota guys who like to play "desert racer" every once in a while and I would like to keep up)

My options so far are:

OME suspension, shocks and springs (heavy duty)

RE 3.5 kit with Bilstien 5100's

Skyjacker single flex kit with Bilstien 5100's (expensive and concerned with the hem joints)

What are your thoughts? Are there other options I should consider? And if you tell me to "search" I will come through your computer and rip out your eyeballs. :p

Ok first off right away dont even consider sky crapper. It has got to be the lamest suspension manufacturer i have ever seen.

I would look into Rustys, or RE. I love the rustys kits personally, some stand by RE 100%. I would stay away from OME just because of the price and what you want to do.. It wont really be down your alley. I would be happy with the RE 4.5 super flex kit or the Rustys 4.5" kit. I wouldent go with another 3" kit if i was doing it all over again. Make budget room for SYE and CV. Its still a good move even if you dont have vibes..

I've had the RE 3.5 for probably about 2 years now and it's starting to feel really good on the road. It's my daily driver, so I also wanted to find a compromise with the ride quality and decent performance off road. If I had it to do over again I think the only thing I would change would be my lift height. I would probably have gone with the 4.5 or the 5.5 kit.

As mentioned above, make sure you budget for a CV shaft and SYE. The RE 3.5 gave me about 5" of actual lift.

I would go with RE too i have the 3.5 inch kit. I went 73mph on a loose dirt/gravel road and the suspension took it real nice. It handled the bumps well, and didn't bottom out. Then when you decide to take it mudding, or go flex on the rocks, it shines there too. Well built, and fairly inexpensive.

Why dont you look into long arms. They apear expensive but facter in everything that needs to be added in after with a short arm kit.. If you want ride quality Long Arms are your bag.

[/QUOTE]As mentioned above, make sure you budget for a CV shaft and SYE. The RE 3.5 gave me about 5" of actual lift.[/QUOTE]

5" of lift? Wow, I don't know if my truck would fit in the garage. That part scares me. It seems everyone get more lift with the RE. Does it settle down after a while? If I get the 5100 shocks for a lift of 2-4 inches, will they be long enough?

5" of lift? Wow, I don't know if my truck would fit in the garage. That part scares me. It seems everyone get more lift with the RE. Does it settle down after a while? If I get the 5100 shocks for a lift of 2-4 inches, will they be long enough?

You will sit high with any manufacturer. Fact is, the spring packs are new and havent been broken in yet. You can speed up the process by loading up in the back. Its really not an issue though. Just plan for the SYE and CV and its still a good idea even if you dont get vibes...

OME isnt really that expensive. My F/R springs came to about $420. That is pretty comparable to what else is out there. The shocks are a little spendier, but the system works well. I think that RE with 5100's is going to cost close enough to the same that cost should not be a big factor.

The OME system is definitely more oriented towards gravel roads than rock gardens, so if that is what you are running most of the time, I think it is a good choice.

In addition to a SYE, I would also consider new upper control arms, and a heavy duty track bar.

Back