• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In cab intake

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading some posts on snorkels as I hydrolocked my engine last weekend and I have already cut enough on my exterior and I'm trying to figure something else out... I was thinking your passeger cabin has plenty of clean cool air. Has anyone run an intake tube into the passenger cabin through the firewall. I haven't even looked to see if it's possible, it's just a thought.

Last edited:
I drive a jacked up jeep with big mud tires... noise isn't going to bother me... plus I was thinking about only running it when I'm 4 wheeling and leaving the stock airbox in, just disconnected while on the trail. I.E. running the stock setup on road and home job while on the trail. I've heard snorkels suck on road anyways b/c they don't get enough air to your engine robbing it of horsepower.

I don't know, that's what I'm looking for in suggestion form. Removing the dash isn't a problem, I've done than on 100 cars, but I don't know about cutting on the firewall

If driving without a dash is no problem then just run a piece of steel 3" exhuast pipe thru the firewall and tack it in place. one of those cheap open element filters would clamp right on, and the stock intake hose would clamp right on the other end if it were close enough. I don't know about running with no HVAC though, it would be nice to at least have a vent and heater.

It would probably need to be on the Pass side so you could keep the speedo.
That means you have to contend with heater core, evaporator core, blower box, and all ductwork. if not having a heater, defroster, AC, vent, pass airbag is not an issue to you then I dont see a problem,

they're all pretty packed under the dash, but knowing what year would help a bit.

99...I dont want to remove the dash 4 good though

I believe I have seen a picture somewhere of a filter coming out of the "cubby hole" in the dash on a < 96 XJ.

cubby hole? I'm trying to picture the passenger cabin and I can't think of a cubby hole in the dash. Explain?

LilRedRover said:
cubby hole? I'm trying to picture the passenger cabin and I can't think of a cubby hole in the dash. Explain?

Think 96 and older XJ's.

then the only place to come up would be the passenger floorboard. which is not a very good place at all, since you'd have to come up to the passenger seat at the very least to keep it high enough,

but.........
the lack of seal in the floorboard from pipe going through it would then allow water to rush into the interior much faster. making even quick jaunts through deep water very messy inside the jeep.

looks like exterior snorkel is the way to go.

well I'm kind of starting to think that... another idea is removing the glove box and bring it in there? maybe i'm just beating a dead horse

3434786323232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3A43%3D953%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3A7%3A96%3A48ot1lsi

3434786323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3A43%3D953%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3A7%3A958%3A4ot1lsi

3434786323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2329%3D%3A43%3D953%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3A7%3A97945ot1lsi

http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15049

yeah not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks. I was hoping to bring it in and have it hidden back in behind the dash, but after looking at the area I don't think it's going to happen the way I want. Probably be dropping the bones and buying legit.

The one intrepid posted was the one I was thinking about.

the entire dash is a model heater vent.there is no room behind the dash to hide the filter let alone have a filter.the one thing you can do is hack it into the cowl under the windshield.then you just have to worry about water coming over the hood and filling hte cowl area.

That shi7 is rock solid how dows the PVC not break with the engine moving. Plus from what I read PVC is not a very good thing. As it heats up it realeases a gas or something that will foul out your plug, but that is just something I have heard before not sure if it is true. But I don't see how that doesn't just break or crack.

Back