• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I put Waggy 44 outers on my D30

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what this would take. Some do the other way, but I am putting a 6 on 5.5 D44 in the rear. I got to thinking if I could use the outters of my Waggy D44. I would have the bigger breaks, hubs, and 6 on 5.5 to match the rear. Would I have to get new ball joints. The D30 will eventually be swapped, but no time real soon. This would just solve a couple of problems, and have some advantages.

Dirt Surfer said:
I was wondering what this would take. Some do the other way, but I am putting a 6 on 5.5 D44 in the rear. I got to thinking if I could use the outters of my Waggy D44. I would have the bigger breaks, hubs, and 6 on 5.5 to match the rear. Would I have to get new ball joints. The D30 will eventually be swapped, but no time real soon. This would just solve a couple of problems, and have some advantages.

the work to get waggy outers on your XJ D30 is about the same as swapping a new axle in general, because you will have to cut off you inner knuckles, replace them with welded on inner knuckles from a CJ D30 (same tube diameter), and then put on the D44 outers. I think you will need custom inner shafts as well to position the u-joint properly. It has been done, but IIRC, most that have done it said they wouldn't repeat it.

Too bad, so sad. I haven't had coffee yet. Didn't think of the Cs. Oh well! I won't be doing that.

Back