• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

XJSpencer

NAXJA Member #1400
OK. To start off, I read all 9 Pages of threads that came up. I'm concerned about bumper structure and how solid it is with a 35" tire on it. So far I feel like the Rigidco is the best bumper for the money. I need to know how solid it is with the tire so far from the bumper.

What else is out there? How do they tie in to the unibody? I've seen all kinds on the internet for a wide range of prices.

What do you guys think/know from experience?

I'd like to try an spend the money only once.

You already named my pic. I think RIGID is one of the best out there. I haven't heard anything negative about their products. I have both front and rear on order.

i've had no expirience yet but when i get tax return check im getting front and rear nates4x4 bumpers, lookthem up they look awesome for the price(under 600 shipped front winch and rear standard with d-ring tabs) www.nates4x4.com check them out

protofab............has pattented cam lock........will carry 37's easily.......and very nice lookin.........beautiful welds too

picture.JPG

I believe that FORMATT has 35's on his Rigid, and he has had nothing but good things to say about it.
The only thing that he said he would change, was to charge more for it.

ClassicXJ said:
My vote goes for Detours USA.. I have his rear bumper on my XJ and love it.

Yup

Rigidco is taking like 3-5 months on shipping of equipment... and Detours is a NAXJA sponsor...

mack said:
the tire carrier look's fugly on the rigidco bumper, i like the look of the warn and Detours, i have a tomken, only because i got a deal on it.

I currently run a Durango Rear bumper with tire carrier. I love it! Running a 33" tire on it and would not hesitate one bit to put something bigger on it.

I got this bumper from a friend of mine. He got rearended by a drunk driver at 50mph, my friends XJ was sitting at a stop light. He was ok, his jeep was of course destroyed. The bumper was fine, it bolted right up to my jeep no problem. The tire carrier was bent but not to bad. I thought it would be easy to straighten...WRONG lol. I put one end of the carrier on my floor jack and put one front tire of my 2000 Ram 3500 diesel on it. It didn't do crap to straighten it so I jacked it up until one of the rear tires got light and no luck. I ended up putting one end of the tire carrier in the reciever hitch of my dodge and jacked the other end up until the carrier was somewhat straight. Then I knocked the crap out of it with a 5lb sledge and it finally gave up and straightened out. Sorry for the long post...but I believe thats got to be the toughest bumper out there.

i like the rigidco. a added plus is 15-20 minutes on the freeway and i save 100+ bucks in shipping vs going withs someone futher away. gotta love local

I really like the rigidco also. I'm worried about how high the tire is. A 35" spare is not a play toy. It seems like it would be higher than the roofline judging by ruggedjeeps pics with a 33 incher. Their mounting system is the best I have seen.

Protofabs is also quite nice. I haven't seen anything on it other than a tire though. It needs to at least carry a hi-lift IMO.

Any other options

i dont really like tube bumpers or the prerunner style, but that bumper looks really sweet. Only change i'd make is to skin it, only cus i odnt like tube bumpers like i said. Other than that, nice work. Can you open the tire carrier with a trailer on, thus allowing access to the rear hatch? also, pics of the mounting on it?

Yes, you can open it with the hitch in use. Mounting is completely done yet, but it attaches to 12 spots at the moment, I'll be adding 8 more along the framerail.

passxj said:
I really like the rigidco also. I'm worried about how high the tire is. A 35" spare is not a play toy. It seems like it would be higher than the roofline judging by ruggedjeeps pics with a 33 incher. Their mounting system is the best I have seen.

Protofabs is also quite nice. I haven't seen anything on it other than a tire though. It needs to at least carry a hi-lift IMO.

Any other options

you make the call. Ill be putting a 35 on there soon.
DSCN2186.jpg

Back