• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is your front axle?

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm reading more and more about how the Dana 30 is a crappy front axle and I want to know, what is everyone replacing it with? I priced a Dynatrac HP 44 and they want $4700+ for the axle, and that definately isn't worth it to me. Is everyone running larger than stock width axles or what is everyone doing? Thanks.

homemade HP44........full width HP44 cut down to use waggy axles, rotors, calipers, warn premium hubs, alloy axles, detroit and 4:56 yukon gears.........1200

4700 is very high for a 44.

what are the specs?

The D30 is plenty adequate for an average weekend warrior locked on 33's....35's locked is where i would start to feel uncomfortable without at least adding a good set of aftermarket alloy shafts....but thats me personally. I seen D30s with alloys withstand 37s locked without so much as a hick-up....

It really boils down to how hard you beat on it.

If you really want a D44, forget buying a new one....start hittin up the junk yards and find a used one and make it work.

Homemade D44. Used a housing from wide trac cherokee chief(waggy) and everything from the knuckles out is Dodge 8 bolt. Reused the D30 spring perches but built my own mounts.

117_1710.JPG

65" WMS to WMS

all the guys running 31s or smaller are using d60s and everyone with 38's or larger are using converted d35s think a little about the question your asking.

there are a massive amount of posts about upgrading to vairious configurations to run vairious tires to accomplish vairious tasks. people run stuff from stock d30s to fliped 9's with portals.

cLAYH said:
Homemade D44. Used a housing from wide trac cherokee chief(waggy) and everything from the knuckles out is Dodge 8 bolt. Reused the D30 spring perches but built my own mounts.

117_1710.JPG

65" WMS to WMS

please tell me you not running that axle with the stock CA's:wierd:

xjnation said:
4700 is very high for a 44.

what are the specs?

Just a plain jane HP 44 built to xj stock specs with 4.88's. I thought the price was WAY too much for an axle, but that's just my opinion. I'm sorry for not posting before, but I'm planning on running 35's with 4.88's and from what I've read, the d30 doesn't stand up very well to it. I had thought about building my own, but with no welder, I'm looking at quite a bit more trouble than I think it's worth.

try samsoffroad they have copleat axles for about half the price you listed, that includes all the brackets, choice of gears and locker.

I went the Sams OffRoad route. Took a long time (4 monts) to get it built. It did bolt in. 2 Years ago I was sans Welding capability, so that was a plus for me.
It was expensive.
The Flat tops were NOT configured for the cone inserts. Just straight drilled. I sheared a bolt on the pass side and have since replaced the whole knuckle and both high steer arms/studs. The Ring and Pinion set up was questionable at best. Just destroyed the front Detroit in Dec and I am finishing replacing it with an ARB.
Have also added PSC ram assist, relocated the track bar. In Jan I added 4340 outters (came with Moser inners) and Super joints.
I would not drop the $2600 with Sams again. There are much cheaper ways to get a front 44 or ford 9".

http://www.tqci.net/~scot/steeringa.jpg

I have been Running A D30 Locked, alloys,& 4.88's With 35's for 1 1/2 years I run it hard. I cary spares, but I have not had to use them yet. Buy good quality hubs & ball joints (not the zone). I have ripped the lower control arms off but that could happen with any axle. I am going to run it until it completly explodes. I will be running 37 Iroc's on bead locks soon.

bj-666 said:
all the guys running 31s or smaller are using d60s and everyone with 38's or larger are using converted d35s think a little about the question your asking.
:wierd: Huh? converted d35s? 31s or smaller using a D60? :wierd:

JnJ said:
:wierd: Huh? converted d35s? 31s or smaller using a D60? :wierd:
:doh:sorry must not have had my joke light on:idea:, there now you know i was joking:laugh3:.

53guy what terrain are you running the dana 30 can be build fairly reliable for 35 in anything but strictly rock. alloy axles and aftermarket joints a truss and some added material to the control arm mounts and it should hold for most.

D30's on both our rigs. Got a TJ D30 in the XJ no less. Both running 35's. XJ has an ARB and 4.56's w/Warn small hub kit and alloy inners. TJ has an OX w/4.88's and stock shafts.

I had a D44 front out of a Waggy in our XJ for a while, but I had lots of problems with the brackets and the shop that built it is in Cali (I'm in Texas), and I couldn't weld at the time, so I it got pulled and replaced with my current built TJ D30.

Dana 44 out of an 82 or 83 waggy (non-disco).

5.13's, ARB, flattop knuckles, Parts Mike High Steer Arms, new 760x's, new BJ's, All new bearings and seals throughout.

I think its somewhere between $1400 and $1600. I'll confirm tonight...

-jm

Running mostly in Virginia, so Non western rocky terrain. The mountains have mostly slick (as in wet with moss, leaves, and the like) rocks, mud, sand, street. Pretty much it.

I got a homemade HP44........full width HP44 cut down to use waggy inners, Ford outers, warn premium hubs, Superior shafts, Yukon super joints, ARB, and 4:10 Superior gears and install kit. From start to finish including rear spacers I am right around $2000 into it.

AARON

Back