• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift q, when is long arm NECESSARY? (rear MJ brake qs too!!)

jslamerman

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got my new project MJ back on the front wheels, after assembling the front axle, brakes, etc. It appears that I have ALOT more lift in the rear than front( like 3 inches, Im going to adjust the rear down an inch, but I think Im going to have to come up 2 in the front!). Im using 35 xterrains on 15x8s with 4" backspacing (3/4 wider each side due to 5 on 5.5 hub conv kit), Rustys 4.5 springs, and a small spacer in front (looks just a bit thicker than the stock rubber isolator). Im seeing a possible issue with the bracket where the shock mounts contacting the control arm during droop (they are bent style arms from Rustys), am I worrying too much? I also need to measure the caster (adjustable uppers and lowers, and Ive pushed the axle forward a bit), where do you guys put the gauge at on the axle to get an accurate measurement, and what window should it be in? Lastly, will a set of XJ hard lines in the rear take care of some brake line issues Ive got in the rear ( Im now SOA, and the stock hardline would run right through where my perch is), and Ive got to run the e brake cables under the leaf springs now, its kinda hokey??!! Any suggestions??

Last edited:
jslamerman said:
Ive got my new project MJ back on the front wheels, after assembling the front axle, brakes, etc. It appears that I have ALOT more lift in the rear than front( like 3 inches, Im going to adjust the rear down an inch, but I think Im going to have to come up 2 in the front!). Im using 35 xterrains on 15x8s with 4" backspacing (3/4 wider each side due to 5 on 5.5 hub conv kit), Rustys 4.5 springs, and a small spacer in front (looks just a bit thicker than the stock rubber isolator). Im seeing a possible issue with the bracket where the shock mounts contacting the control arm during droop (they are bent style arms from Rustys), am I worrying too much? I also need to measure the caster (adjustable uppers and lowers, and Ive pushed the axle forward a bit), where do you guys put the gauge at on the axle to get an accurate measurement, and what window should it be in? Lastly, will a set of XJ hard lines in the rear take care of some brake line issues Ive got in the rear ( Im now SOA, and the stock hardline would run right through where my perch is), and Ive got to run the e brake cables under the leaf springs now, its kinda hokey??!! Any suggestions??

You never have to go to long arms. :) (inside joke if you haven't been around here for awhile)

The shock mount always hits the lower control arm, we grind it down or cut it off for more clearance. Sounds like you used lift springs in the rear, right or wrong? The stock rear springs should be fine if you go spring over, but even that could be more lift than 4.5" front coils. You can put the stock coil isolator back on, or even two or three of them, to level it out.

So, grind and reinforce (maybe welding on the el cheapo style bar pin eliminators will reinforce that area if place properly). More custom fab. I guess it cant be avoided, I am holding out for some steering parts from another member, and Ill have to fab a higher trackbar mount, and probably shorten it a bit, so this shouldnt be a problem. Any comments on the JKS bracket that raises the trackbar mount?? (as this is what Ill probably use). Now to measure caster, but where from?? (what surface can I mount the angle finder that will give me the proper angle in relation to perfectly horizontal??

Richard is right. You do not NEED to go to long arms. At 4.5" of lift it is really arguable if it really makes the investment worth it. At 6" is typically a more logical argument.

No need to reinforce the shock mount area, just trim some off the back so that the LCA does not hit it on full droop.

Can't help you with Track bar relocation. Do some searching and you should find lots of info and choices.

For the Castor, alignment check out this site:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Hope that helps.
Michael

Back