• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 lug D44 rear????

bigwhitey

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make 6 lug shafts for the XJ 44 rear.
I found 5 on 5.5 but I'd like to get 6 on 5.5 to match my front 44 instead of changing the front and the rear to 5 on 5.5.

Anytime you want to change the pattern from stock (for the most part), you are going to need a custom shaft. No, no one specifically makes a 6 lug XJ 44 shaft. But any of the companies are more then capable of making it. So you would have to pick up your little phone and give someone a ring. Superior, Moser, Dutchman, Alloy USA, whoever gets ya wet...............:thumbup:

Another option is to find a rear axle out of an isuzu rodeo/isuzu amigo. These are nice dana 44s with 6 on 5.5 and can often be found with disc brakes, track width is similar to XJ. You could probably find the entire axle at a junkyard cheaper than buying the custom shafts and then swamp your ring & pinion and differential from your current XJ dana 44 into the rodeo 44. This would at least be a good long term solution, because once you did snap a shaft, replacement shafts could easily be found at the junkyard from the rodeos.

a rodeo axle will be a dana 44 probably have disc brakes and 4.10 gears posibly a limited slip. and best of all it is 6 lug. not a direct bolt in but if it is that easy is prolly isnt good fo ya :lecture:

Rodeos used either 4.30 or 4.56 and might not be a D44.
Your best bet is to get early 80's Dodge 1/2 ton outers and you will be 5 on 5 1/2 no problem.

I found an old post where a guy had moser make some shafts for the stack 44 with 6 lug and they fit with the ZJ rotor once it was redrilled.

I have a press to redrill my rotors, and I'd like stronger shafts for the 35's going on, so I think I'll call Moser and see what it'll cost.

If it were'nt for already gearing and installing disc brakes on this 44 I'd deffinately go another route for the rear.

a ssangyoung musso has a d44 rear axle and a 6 lug sama as a toyota and all of them and plus it comes with rear disk brake original on it and it´s litle wider then a original xj axle

what kind of a front axle do you have on youre truck???

I was talking about the Dodge outers in reference to not having to go 6 lug in the back. He said he can get 5 on 5 1/2 for the rear, so I was trying to help with the reference of the same pattern for the front.

Back