• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carrier hunting for D35

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I broke my D35 and am currently looking for a carrier from non-C-clip, non-track-lok axle, to fit in my axle with my old 4,11 ring and pinion, and a Powertrax No-Slip I have, which is for non-c-clip and non-tracklock. I've found this to be quite a difficult task, jeep parts don't grow on trees here, and especially not before 1990, which is what I need to get the non-C-clip version.

If I've understood it correctly the carrier also changes around 3,55 gearing, but I'm not clear on which axles I can get it from. Can I use a 3,55 carrier, or do I have to use one from 3,73 or 4,11?

I'm also wondering if the carrier from axles with and without C-clips are different. If not, I could get a C-clip carrier, which is a lot easier to find.

I know a few people who have some loose carriers lying around. Is there any simple ways to identify the one(s) I need, when they're not in an axle and w/o gears on? I.e. are there any stamps or other ways to identify the carrier I need?

Lastly, I'd like to get some info on how to shim and adjust the ring gear when I'm finished installing. I guess there's no easy shortcuts like using my old bearings and shims with the new carrier, or could that work?

Yes the carrier is differnt for gears below 3.55 but is the same for 3.55 and up. so yes you can use a 3.55 carrier. The axles are different for the c-clip and non c-clip axles. I would think that about the only way to tell the difference in the carriers 3.55 and up carrier is with a tape measure. As for the c-clip carrier and non c-clip carrier I believe they are the same. But do not know this for sure. There is an article in one of the raggs about tools needed and how to do R & P set up. Let me know if you need it I can dig it up. [email protected] As for useing you old stuff! NO, I wouldn't even think about it. Master kits are not that pricey. HTH

Please, do dig it up. You may send it to <removed email> or if it's a link it would be nice if you could post it here, as I can't reach my mail right now (will get to read it later, however).

I sort of have a new question. If I get a complete diff newer than 90, i.e. with C-clips, can I put it in my axle housing, and use my shafts and stuff? And would my ring and pinion fit it? You see, there seems to be lots of these diffs for sale around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amund2 said:
Please, do dig it up. You may send it to amund ¤ offroad.no, or if it's a link it would be nice if you could post it here, as I can't reach my mail right now (will get to read it later, however).

I sort of have a new question. If I get a complete diff newer than 90, i.e. with C-clips, can I put it in my axle housing, and use my shafts and stuff? And would my ring and pinion fit it? You see, there seems to be lots of these diffs for sale around.

when i went from 3:07 to 4:10 on my d35 non clip, i bought a new carrier from drivetrain direct for something like $50.

Back