• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do i take my steering stabilizer off??

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
I got the pin out of the nut that attaches the ss to the drag link and the nut off but i coundnt get the bolt out after that...i noticed that it had like sort of a nut on the other side too but i couldnt turn it and i couldnt beat the thing out of the drag link but nothing was working....wut am i doing wrong guys?

redneckjeeper94 said:
I got the pin out of the nut that attaches the ss to the drag link and the nut off but i coundnt get the bolt out after that...i noticed that it had like sort of a nut on the other side too but i couldnt turn it and i couldnt beat the thing out of the drag link but nothing was working....wut am i doing wrong guys?

IIRC (I only had to do it once!)... the BOLT stays put, and the stabilizer slips off of it! Aka, stop banging on the bolt, trying to knock it out... and start banging on the stabilizer... the other way...

Investigate that approach while waiting for one of the experts to verify my thoughts....

Den

I used a gear puller to remove mine after I destroyed the threaded end beating on it.
Took a whole 2 seconds to remove at that point.
If you are replacing the stabalizer, some of them (I know for a fact the ones from Murrays do) come with a new mount/bolt/thingy.
HTH

Definitely a BFH and a gear puller. The drag link mounting bolt is tapered and so is the hole in the link. When you get a little rust in there, they just seize tight. Be patient and don't be afraid to release some stress on it, lol :explosion

There is too much flex in the drag link to allow your blows to have desired effect. Try wedging a piece of 4X4 or 2X4 as close to the impact point as possible and the axle tube itself. THEN wail away!!!

A puller is your best bet if you can get your hands on one.
Good luck,
CW

I found it easier to just remove the tie rod / drag link from the vehicle. Then I could lay the stabilizer bolt on a solid piece of metal and smack it from the side with the BFH. Two good smacks and it was out.

Back